What kind of amp is this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not too long ago I ripped apart an old console TV for parts and noticed that the amp section was totaly seperate from the tunner and crt drive. So I took the whole amp section out and with about an hour's hacking I had just the amp fired up and jamming out tunes. I noticed it actualy sounded better than my current amp!! It wasnt as powerful but it did have better stereo imaging. I know its sounds crazy.
Here is my question. How do I identify what type of amp this is. I can identify some of the parts of the module like the power supply.

btw it came out of a GE tv with "performance sound series II"

swirv,

Without seeing some text/number on that IC,
it is hopeless to know what it is.

There are 100reds of 5-pinned Power-OPs and Power IC amps.

But if you can give us the letters of the label,
we will almost certainly be able to know
which one it is.

Try to use a mirror or a magnifying glass,
and read the numbers.
It might well be TDA2004, like yeti says, it is very commonly used. And TDA2002.

/halo - the amplifier :eek: obsessed :eek:

it is a TDA2040

Has anyone here used this amp? How does it fair? This amp sounds nice, it does have some noise but I think thats from the mixer/preamp circuts. It had a volume control that was on a differant board in the TV. However, it didnt come out when the amp module came out :rolleyes: so the wire that went to this board is connected to ground to get sound at max volume. I thought that if I put a pot to ground I could use it but just touching the wire with one hand and touching ground with the other gave full voume. Any hints as to use this as a volume/gain? I'd like to turn down the "gain" on the amp and feed it a higher level signal to lower the noisefloor a bit...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.