speakon to RCA help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i want to change my speakon connector back of my pro amp to Rca connector or run two wires from the speakon connector inside of the amp directly so that i can connect it to a speaker. I dont own a speakon wire so this is why i want to mod it. has anyone got a link to this mod or instructions.

is it April? double check, nope

by RCA do you mean RCA phono?

phono plugs are low voltage, low current connections,
speakon are high voltage, high current connections.
this is why you cannot buy 'converters from one to the other.
pro amps put out quite a bit of power and need to have suitable connectors and cables to the speakers.

or do you mean XLR? these were used as speaker connections on some brands of pro speakers

either way speakon leads are readily availible. stay with them.
regards
bob

check date again, no its definatly not April

ok the problem is that i do not have any disco speakers so i want to use car speakers (250 rms each) but they have blown up since i tried them on the pro amp but can i use car sub it alot cheaper to use them than a house sub.

i have seen disco speakers on ebay for 50 pounds delivered they rated around 300 rms watts each but am scared to hook them up they might blow but i dnt want to get big disco speaker cos than my amp will be underpowered. amp is rated 500 rms each channel but you never knew cos companies lie alot about power amp rating.

the amp is skytec 6950 i tried to find out in forums about this amp but no one has given a review on it pros and cons.

I also seen kevler speakers on ebay dey 8 inch and rated at 500 rms they the yellow ones.

speakon i wanted to modify them so i cn just directly hook wires from the car sub to the amp.

Hi,
Find out if your amp speakon is two pole or four pole.
Buy a matching pair of speakon connectors and some speaker cable.
Then convert the speaker to accept your new cable. This will be the better way than modifying the amplifier.

By the way,
either YOU blew up the old speakers or your amp is faulty.
Check the amp has no offset on it's output, before you connect the speakers. And then go easy with the volume control or else YOU will blow up another pair of speakers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi joka22,
That's still no reason to mess around with the wrong connectors. Either way, you need good wires.

Most speaker ratings are extremely optimistic. Look at the voice coil for an idea of the real power. 1" should be around 30 ~60 Wrms. That's if that memory is valid, it's been a while. If the former is paper, 1" may only be good for 10 Wrms.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.