Adjustable power supply to replace volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Leolabs said:
...why not design an adjustable regulated power supply to adjust the volume level instead of using the normal volume control???

Keep it up and you'll have a patent pending and folks working for you.:cool:

What do you have for a schematic/block diagram? I think this type of arrangement would only work in a "certain" operating range of the devices implemented but could easily switch between several modes of operation to ensure good performance for full attenuation and smooth response over the entire audio spectrum. Just thinking out loud...

Cheers,

Shawn.

I think the subject amplifier would need to be built for the purpose. I think the idea has merit and is worth investigating. Anything that does not subscribe to conventional methods is worth working for. These are the ideas and concepts that bring us to the next level.

Much work and planning would be required. A physics degree would help but is NOT a requirement. Just look into history for examples...there are many.

Block diagram? Conceptual function?

Cheerio,

Shawn.

Was bored so I looked for some info....

http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slea038/slea038.pdf

Implementation of Power Supply Volume Control

This document gives design guide lines for applications using the power supply volume
control (PSVC). The power supply volume control increases system performance by:
• Volume can be decreased without loss of audio resolution, in the range where PSVC is
active.
• When supply voltage for PVDD is decreased, the noise voltage at the output decreases as
well. The ratio between noise voltage and maximum RMS voltage (DNR) then increases.
The user experiences better noise performance at usual listening levels. E.g. a system
having 102 dB in DNR and a power supply range of 18 dB will have a SNR up to 120 dB.
• Reduces power consumption and heat in the system at usual listening levels, thereby
increasing the lifetime of the system.
• Many EMI tests are performed at a reduced volume setting. FTC requires 1/8 of maximum
output power equal to a volume setting of -9 dBFS. By use of the PSVC operating voltage
during EMI, the test will be reduced giving reduced switching noise in the system.
The PSVC is supported in Texas Instruments PWM processors like the TAS5508, which
makes implementation easy. For other modulator types like the TAS5066 and TAS5076,
the PSVC can also be implemented. However, on these devices all calculations and
control must be handled by the micro controller.
This document gives design guidelines, how to implement PSVC correctly for the
TAS5508. To implement PSVC for other PWM processors like the TAS5066 and
TAS5076, contact the Texas Instruments digital audio applications team.

What your really thinking about is Class H where the supply tracks the rails with just enough headroom for best efficiency of a Class AB but no clipping. The gain is then fixed and the supplies adjust for the output required. You can adjust the voltage supplies for volume control but then you also need to adjust the gain of the amp to match. Seems like adjusting two things instead of one will only result in more complication and lower performance. Except for a Class D type of design I don't think there is anything to gain from such an approach.

-SL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.