need help connecting pro amp to pc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i just got my new pro amp today skytec 6950 500 rms X 2 channels at 4 ohms.

I want to connect my pc to my pro amp i do have rca (phono) input on the pro amp.

I do not have any disco speakers or any speakers that take the out speakon connector from the pro amp, could i not just buy some speakon cable and cut the end off and wire directly to a 4ohm speaker with rms matched obviously.

do i need a equalizer i do have a old jvc amp with equalizer.

IS Phono the only RCA input you have? Phono will not work with you PC's sound cards output. If you have a AUX in / CD / Tuner / Line on your amp simply purchase (or make yourself) a cable to connect your pc's sound card (probably a 1/8" phone jack) to the RCA in's on your amp. Yes you can buy one long speakon cable and cut it in half and connect to from your amp to each respective speaker. you dont "NEED" an equalizer there should be one on your computers media player (ex. winamp, windows media etc...)

your pc soundcard probably uses the small jack output (forgotten what its called exactly, but its about 1.5-2cm in length and has 3 strips of metal on it).
This will be fine, buy some jack to rca leads from B&Q or wherever you know they sell them and plug in, be careful of sound level on pc, if you have some attenuator or level control on the amp turn it (or them down).

As for the speakon connector, fine to strip the end off and connect just make sure you use the right leads within the speakon wire.

Cd player will work through the phono, pretty sure phono = RCA socket type so no probs but again you will need a level adjuster on the power amp or it will be very loud.

Hope this helps

Craig

joka22 is right you MUST have a level adjuster or else you will get nasty clipping and distortion

the phono input is meant for Record Players only! Line level inputs expect a preamplified signal and therefore do not ampliify the signal as much. A Phono input expects a NON-amplified signal and there fore amplifies the signal much more inside your amp. You computer/cd player/ tape player/ mp3 player etc... would all be considered a Line Level signal. the only thing you should plug into your phono input is a record player

UNLESS

you have some sort of box connected between the computer and phono input to attenuate the signal ( a basic volume control would work )

what are the other signal inputs on your amp?

Dave

http://www.theelectronicsshop.co.uk/skytec tec6950.htm

this is the pro amp i got, on the picture it will show the back of the amp with connectors i hope you can give me more infor on how to connect this amp .

I bought this amp for listening to music from my pc or my philips (digital/analogue ) cd player.

i just want the amp for you know home and not dj i just bought it cos it is 1000 rms watts and should keep me happy with noise level.

k since phono leads are out of the question due to high distortion and problem with amplified signal.

how bout i use the xlr connectors on amp input from the pc line out these are the only input connectors the amp has for input.

i can buy cables from ebay that have xlr to 3.5mm cables

3.5mm coming frm pc line out and xlr to the input on the amp (balanced)

or i can buy phono leads with xlr connectors (balanced).

phone connector going into the hifi cd player and the other end xlr to the amp input .

so running a cd player using the output rca connection to pro amp input rca will giv the amp extra power on the input signal causing distortion.

how bout i put some resisters in place between the connections to reduce volt would that work or get some sound card for my pc that will work with 3.5mm to rca to my pro amp.

joka... I believe you are still a little confused on the phono input thing. Let me try and clarify. An actual phono INPUT (the purpose of the input) on a preamplifier or integrated amp for example IS only to be used for turntables. Other INPUTs such as CD, AUXILLARY, etc. are referred to as line level inputs. Where I think you are confused on is the actual jack STYLES. The most common term for 1/4" types of jacks are RCA but less often are also referred to by some as phono jacks even though it maybe a line level input used for line level devices. Your particular amp has 2 input style options and are LINE LEVEL INPUTS 1. RCA and 2. XLR Your sound card MOST LIKELY has 3.5mm jack outputs so this cable as mentioned before ===> http://www.daydeal.com/files/images3/blk_rca_cable.jpg
will work just fine JUST MAKE SURE cable has the stereo 3.5mm plug as in picture (you can tell by the 2 black rings). Or use the same type of 3.5mm cable but with xlr instead of the rca. As jaycee mentioned though.... it won't be running balanced since your sound card output is not balanced. HOPE THIS HELPS and GOOD LUCK

You do NOT need this. As I have stated earlier... your amp ALREADY has line level inputs. Just get that 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable and hook the 3.5mm plug to your line out on the PC sound card and the left rca to left input on amp and of course right to right. DONE!

http://www.theelectronicsshop.co.uk...c tec6950.htm

on the left hand side of the page under specifications it says
"Line Level Input (Phono, ¼" Jack Socket & XLR)". I earlier misunderstood when you said Phono. I thought you meant the input for a record player, but you were referring to the type of connector (even though you did not know it at the time). Im sorry for the confusion. Go buy the cable plug it in to your computer/cd player and your good to go.
IT WILL WORK!

Now go blow your speakers up and Have fun

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.