Hafler JF2000 / Rockford RF2000 mods...help!!

Hello..... new guy here. I own a Rockford RF2000 amplifier... yes, it's home audio. It's identical to a Hafler JF2000, but harder to find. I would like to upgrade/modify it. Does anyone have suggestions? I am including a link to the schematic....PDF was too large to attach. I contacted a guy that does some work on this stuff..... he suggested that I replace the NE5532 opamp chips in the input stages with Burr-Brown OPA2134 chips and that I replace the 47uf/100v caps on each output stage supply rail to the "largest caps that will physically fit the spaces". Does anyone have suggestions?? Thanks a million!!
s9.quicksharing.com/v/8943762/RF2000_schematic_1_.pdf.html

A local vendor bought the old Rockford stock and built up a bunch of these in the early 90's. I tested them. They either worked or they didn't and I didn't think they'd hold up. All those paralleled fets seemed like a failure waiting to happen. As I recall the opamps are all soldered in and the whole amp is one large board. If you do change opamps I'd suggest putting in sockets. Other wise, this is one amp that if it's working I'd leave it alone.

I just picked up one of these myself but the more rare version RFP-2000 which has the rack mount handles and The Punch logo on the front and on the back fan. There's next to no information about these but I am in contact with the person who was one of the original people that built them back in the day and may actually have schematics. Let me see what I can find out and I will post back.

Just for the record, that amplifier was designed by John France of Rockford Fosgate fame. It was initially marketed by Rockford Fosgate for the home market, before the company acquired the David Hafler Company. It was a failure in the marketplace and was not offered for long. I'm not saying it was a bad product (nor am I saying it was good product). It just didn't do well in the marketplace because RF didn't have a presence in home audio.

It was later repackaged under the Hafler brand name, with the JF standing for John France. It didn't do well even under the well-established Hafler name, and was withdrawn from the market after a short time. It was essentially a car audio amp masquerading as a home amp. I have a dim memory that there was also a JF preamplifier.

The engineers at Hafler (of whom I was one) had nothing to do with the JF products, and the marketing folks at Hafler were none too happy being forced to promote it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information. A lot of that is what I heard from the person at RF as well in regards to John France and the Hafler side. I'm the same way in that I vaguely remember this amp and it being "presented" to us where I was at in Tulsa at the time because we were carrying RF in 1990 when I first started there. But then there wasn't much more on it. I can imagine that some of those marketing decisions didn't set too well with the folks there. The trouble they had with no name in the home marketplace reminds me of how "not well" the Fosgate Audionics side went, too. I was a rep when they were closing out the remaining speakers and the electronics that were left. I wish I would have bought some of it for the heck of it.

I'm not sure I'll go far into it but it's kind of cool just owning it in general and worth the little that I gave for it. I know it would help to change out the old Elna electrolytic caps, and any other suspect caps, but it may be quite the chore to do so. I called the tech in Little Rock that rebuilt my Mac MC250 amp and he wasn't really keen on working on a MOSFET amp in general.

Thanks again for your input.

Hello,
I see old thread but I Have the Hafler Pro 6000 that I believe is the same amplifier in sheep's clothing and am also in need of the schematic. meyerrat@yahoo.com

NOT the same amplifier, regardless of clothing. The Hafler PRO products were an adaptation of the home Hafler brand. The new owners of the Hafler name have old schematics on their website.

Just an update. I replaced most all of the smaller electrolytic caps on the main board and power supply board but did not change the two 42,000uf main filter caps. But I have a working amp now and it does sound quite good. Only issue I seem to have now is the side heat sinks get fairly warm and the fan doesnt appear to be working. I guess at some point I'll dig into that but I've got a new Onkyo M-5000R amp on the way so not too worried about it.