Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Inconsistent bandpass enclosure simulation in Hornresp vs Basta, WinISD and VituixCAD
Inconsistent bandpass enclosure simulation in Hornresp vs Basta, WinISD and VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2021, 08:33 AM   #1
Zodraz is offline Zodraz
diyAudio Member

Default Inconsistent bandpass enclosure simulation in Hornresp vs Basta, WinISD and VituixCAD

I am trying to simulate a single-driver DRS-ripole enclosure as a 6-th order bandpass box. I am getting the resulting graph in Hornresp that is quite different than those in Basta, WinISD and VituixCAD using the same input data. My DIY speaker experience is very limited and I don't know what I am doing wrong, so any advice will be appreciated.

Here is the top view of the planned enclosure (yes, it would be drastically small):
Ripole.png

Hornresp:
Bandpass_Hornresp.png

Basta:
Bandpass_Basta.png

WinISD:
Bandpass_WinISD.png

VituixCAD:
Bandpass_VituixCAD.png

Here is the Hornresp record:
Bandpass_Hornresp.txt

I tried to follow the Rudolph's suggestion about ripole simulations:
Quote:
Since there are no custom-made simulation applications for w-/n-baffles (yet), these di/ripoles are best simulated as either a front loaded horn with a vented rear chamber (if a vent canīt be simulated make the rear chamber as big as possible) or as a 2-ported band pass box. The trick is to give the horn or the reflex tube exactly the mouth/throat/tube area and the length of the di/ripole chambers.
Old 24th November 2021, 02:53 PM   #2
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Try using the CH function or use the OD function with a rear port in HR.
Old 24th November 2021, 05:55 PM   #3
Zodraz is offline Zodraz
diyAudio Member

Thanks for suggestion. With CH I get more similar shape of graph to other programs, but its peak is shifted both horizontally (100 Hz) and vertically (10 dB):

Compound_Hornresp.png

Compound_Hornresp_2.png

And I still don't understand why its bandpass result is different then in other programs.

By the way, I found that I entered Cms in mm/N in first example as every other program requires, but Hornresp is expecting m/N. However, even with that corrected for bandpass, the graph is still quite different.
Old 25th November 2021, 10:36 PM   #4
Zodraz is offline Zodraz
diyAudio Member

Here is the same driver with the mentioned bandpass enclosure in Boxsim:
Bandpass_Boxsim.png

And here are all together on one graph (Basta, WinISD, VituixCAD, Boxsim, Hornresp bandpass and Hornresp compound horn):
JBL Club 1224 - REW.png
Old 26th November 2021, 09:28 AM   #5
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodraz View Post
And I still don't understand why its bandpass result is different then in other programs.
The other programs all use similar, relatively simple models that perhaps have difficulty in handling the unusual port and chamber sizes specified in your design (see attachment). The post linked below may also be of interest.

Hornresp

The only way to know for sure would be to build the system and to measure its performance :-).
Attached Images
File Type: png Attach_1.png (44.1 KB, 54 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #6
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

To further check the validity of the Hornresp BP6P model, the results have been compared against those produced by Dr Kolbrek's HornCAD simulation software. The power responses are effectively identical, as shown in the attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: png Attach_1.png (64.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: png Attach_2.png (24.4 KB, 37 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #7
Zodraz is offline Zodraz
diyAudio Member

Here is another test, this time with even smaller enclosure with 8" driver:
JBL Stage 810 - Ripole.png

Hornresp_Nd - Front loaded conical horn:
JBL Stage 810_Nd.txt
JBL Stage 810 - Hornresp_Front loaded conical horn.png

Hornresp_CH - Normal driver compound (with rear and throat chambers):
JBL Stage 810_CH.txt
JBL Stage 810 - Hornresp_Normal driver compound.png

Hornresp_CH2 - Normal driver compound (without rear and throat chambers):
JBL Stage 810_C2.txt
JBL Stage 810 - Hornresp_Normal driver compound_Alt.png

Hornresp_BP - Sixth order parallel band pass:
JBL Stage 810_BP.txt
JBL Stage 810 - Hornresp_Sixth order parallel band pass.png

All together (Basta, VituixCAD and 4 x Hornresp):
JBL Stage 810.png

Basta and VituixCAD are quite similar. "Hornresp_Nd - Front loaded conical horn" and "Hornresp_CH - Normal driver compound (with rear and throat chambers)" are identical, but quite different then other two variants, and none of them is close to Basta/VituixCAD.
  Reply to this post

Inconsistent bandpass enclosure simulation in Hornresp vs Basta, WinISD and VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!