New Browser....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I just installed Brave Browser, too early to really tell, but it seems pretty "snappy" once set up and configured the settings.

Been using Firefox for a long time now, but advice from the 'net seems to suggest dumping it due to political bias, which I don't want to deal with.

Anyone else using Brave?

I find the phrase "political bias" rather strange. I've been using firefox for years without any problems.
If the trend continues there will be only one browser platform, a single entity controlling web browsing standards is a bad thing.
You should look deeper into the business model of Brave Browser.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I find the phrase "political bias" rather strange. I've been using firefox for years without any problems.
If the trend continues there will be only one browser platform, a single entity controlling web browsing standards is a bad thing.
You should look deeper into the business model of Brave Browser.

Oh, I never had any real issues over the years with Firefox, other than a few glitches that they fixed in later issues.
In fact, I'm perfectly happy with it.
But a certain video I came across featuring the CEO of Mozilla disturbed me enough to look elsewhere.
I just don't want to deal with a product that is owned and ran by someone that is brainwashed.
Thank god I don't use twitter, facebook, or anything like that - I don't need the hassle.

But a certain video I came across featuring the CEO of Mozilla disturbed me enough to look elsewhere.
I just don't want to deal with a product that is owned and ran by someone that is brainwashed.
A quick internet search didn't find anything in relation to your comments.
However you may not be aware the CEO doesn't own Mozilla or the Firefox web browser, Mozilla is a non-profit corporation that is run on a day to day basis by a management team.

Which CEO of Mozilla? They have gone through a few of them lately.

You know, Brave really only exists to push a cryptocurrency called BAT. Anyone telling you this browser is the best or that Mozilla's product is at all affected by politics is probably a nutjob. There is nothing wrong with Brave at this very moment... but the idea it is a safer, better, or less political choice than Firefox is laughable.

I was initially reading the article on a webpage, but I see what you mean about the twitter feed, from what I can tell I wouldn't be surprised that some of the twitter responses were from Bot accounts. Ironically other responses were suggesting moving to other browsers that have some type of tracking built-in by default. I'm not surprised people making decisions against their own interests.

Okay, but it's google chrome behind the GUI.

The problem is developing web browser software is expensive and since google control the browsing space there's not much point in going it alone unless you're someone like Apple.
The other advantage using chrome is developers will receive revenue from default search engine data.

Mozilla receives around $450m per year for making google the default search engine for Firefox.

For a google free experience there's the open source Chromium version.

Okay, but it's google chrome behind the GUI.

Yeah, about that...
There's no competition left, really. Just about all browsers that function properly are chromium based these days.
I prefer Vivaldi because of the handy sidebars, built-in mouse gestures, and lots of other things I expect a half decent browser to do without any add-ons.

The problem with Waterfox is it was sold to an advertising company, if the browser is free you need to understand that your web browsing is the product. These companies need to generate income somehow and that is through search engine results and browsing. I would be more concerned about how quick Waterfox release security updates.
Blocking Ads is one thing (it can also prevent malware downloads), but your web browsing can be monetised in other ways.

Yeah, about that...
There's no competition left, really. Just about all browsers that function properly are chromium based these days.
I prefer Vivaldi because of the handy sidebars, built-in mouse gestures, and lots of other things I expect a half decent browser to do without any add-ons.

I agree, its essentially a 2 horse race. Google Chrome and everyone else in last place.

It's not necessarily because chromium properly conforms to the standards, I hear otherwise.

Google owns the web browsing space, everyone more or less has to follow their ways of doing things (and the money).....unfortunately.

This is an example - Google Safe Browsing has blacklisted your website. Read the last couple of paragraphs for a quick summary.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
the web browsing space, everyone more or less has to follow their ways of doing things (and the money).....unfortunately.
Just to clarify.. Google has a share of the browser market, and browsers browse a public space with open standards.. at least according to the average Joe browser.

Google search engine does make it appear as though they own the internet or something, as far as many ordinary users are concerned. Present company knows otherwise, and some of us may not have a use for anything obviously Google. Windows is another example, I've had numerous people explain to me at one stage that microsoft owned the internet. Firefox was especially popular with Australians at that time, who wanted to make the distinction.

While HTML standards, and hence the fundamental behaviour of a browser has traditionally been handed by the w3c, it's now done by a working group in partership between the four major browsers.

By the way according to statcounter, chrome's desktop share seems to have dropped around 5% in the past couple of years.

Agreed, while the standards are open the reality is they're really at the mercy of Google to a degree. HTML standards is not the issue. We have companies like google and facebook which are driving technologies with additional frameworks and libraries which then force standards and other browsers to follow suite. Its not all a bad thing as these developments are generally released as open source which when adopted can aid in things like speeding up the rendering of web pages.

It's not just Google search engine stuff most people are familiar with, it's all the hidden stuff that sits behind a webpage i.e. Google JavaScript, fonts, safe web browsing, API's and anything else that is pulled from Google services whilst rendering a webpage so in essence we are all indirect users. Block some Google JavaScript and the page will probably won't load properly.

The front page of this forum is pulling in code from Google Services.

Statcounter won't be entirely accurate due to the Browser User Agent string being manipulated to get webpages to load properly. In any case Google has about 70% market share give or take, the next four browsers struggle to make double digits.
Source: Netmarketshare

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.