First experience with KiCad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry for the off topic, but I'd like add some advise.

I agree it is nice to have good libraries to start out with esp if you are learning. But from my experience, I do not trust any 3rd party library, that I have not reviewed (QA'd) and then it would be put in my own segregated library.
In many cases if your schem lib's drive outputs like BOM's you need to add properties to these libs' like mfg,mpn,dist PN, so the libs all need to be edited just for that alone.
Good libraries are part of the whole design process, not every process is the same, but the end results usually are if done correctly. Lib's involve a lot of work, but in the end you have excellent results first time.

I never use round tracks, not even a 10GHz. But I also do not use 90's either. We made coils out of copper, but they were footprints :)

If that is the case I would say that KiCad may not be the best choice for you. I would start with a basic OrCad license and build all of your own libraries from scratch. I don't have the time to do that which is why I use KiCad and only create custom library parts as I need them.

I've lost track of the number of board designs I've done in KiCad, but it is now over 65, and I am by no means an expert. I am happy with the end result though which is a board I can design quickly and get to the board house so I can build and test prototypes. This is all hobby related activity, at work I have people who do all of this work for me.

I must have mislead you into thinking that I was interested in learning a new eCad tool set, but that is not the case, for now at least. I have been using Orcad layout for a very long time now, it is fine for the small pcbs I do these days. I have tons of library components and a design system that works for me. But basically once you have your templates in place, the bulk of the work has been done.
The librarian's work never ends.
I designed pcb's professionally for many years using some top end tools like Cadence Allegro, which is what Orcad pcb designer is based on now. I have also used Mentor products and go way back to the Cadnetix days running on Unix boxes.
One day when I have some time or am really bored, I'll give Kicad a whirl. I am sure I'll find something I do not like about it but as long it gets the job done, that is what really counts.
iirc JeffYoung said to me a long time ago (or am I dreaming?) that he was part of the KiCad development team so having a developer available right here is a great asset in itself.

Sounds like that to me, since he said that the referenced libs are all copied to a local lib, which I inferred as what is usually known as an design archive function. You want to capture or take a snapshot of the library elements at that point in time and store them locally to the design.
I am not sure what he is refer to as ERC, electrical rule check is a schematic wiring, (net), pin checking function. DRC is a layout function for net rules, spacings etc.
Library or source revision control can get complicated, ask the developers :) which I am to understand what this toolset is going through in its development curve.

Good Luck, wish I could help you, so I have to tune out of this thread
Rick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No need to link the cache libraries in 5.1.6, that's implicit when they are created, you just need to make sure that the entire project files are available if you copy a project over to another machine or folder.

Here is an example of what you will see when you migrate a 5.1.6 project to 5.1.8.. (the first attachment)

I'm pretty sure I am no longer using any of the rescued schematic component files, and probably don't need that file any more, but I left it in place.

An example of a 5.1.6 that has been converted to completely native 5.1.8

Waiting to see what comes with 6.0 - I will probably not jump until I am sure that the transition is seamless.

Attachments

• screen shot with rescue.png
    screen shot with rescue.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2021-01-02 212118.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-02 212118.png
    24 KB · Views: 94
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I must have mislead you into thinking that I was interested in learning a new eCad tool set, but that is not the case, for now at least. I have been using Orcad layout for a very long time now, it is fine for the small pcbs I do these days. I have tons of library components and a design system that works for me. But basically once you have your templates in place, the bulk of the work has been done.
The librarian's work never ends.
I designed pcb's professionally for many years using some top end tools like Cadence Allegro, which is what Orcad pcb designer is based on now. I have also used Mentor products and go way back to the Cadnetix days running on Unix boxes.
One day when I have some time or am really bored, I'll give Kicad a whirl. I am sure I'll find something I do not like about it but as long it gets the job done, that is what really counts.
iirc JeffYoung said to me a long time ago (or am I dreaming?) that he was part of the KiCad development team so having a developer available right here is a great asset in itself.

I set aside Orcad (and mine is only 2 years old) because I was going to have to create footprints for every part I was using. I had created most of the symbols I needed for my schematics. A custom organized library would be nice, for now I just add the parts I make to my own local library.

Editing footprints has become surprisingly easy in KiCad so I often modify them to suit my needs. I should take those cached footprints and stick them in a library somewhere.. LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.