how to determine filter type from component values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to determine the type and frequency of the filters in some vintage speaker crossovers (Wharfedale Denton, Linton), but can find no online documentation. There are plenty of resources, written calculations and software, that allow you to determine the component values given the frequency and filter type, but I need to go the other way round. Once you get above a first order filter, the topology seems to stay the same, but the Q of each part of the filter (2 in the case of a second order) varies for each type, and so therefor does the component value.

I can iterate through a software tool trying lots of different frequencies, but I have to do this for Butterworth, Bessel, Linkwitz-Reilly, Elliptical, etc, which is a lot of work for an oldy like me. Also, I have yet to stumble on software tools for filter types other than LR or Butterworth. What if my filter is a Bessel?

Anyone know of a shortcut of any kind, either written or in software?
Much appreciate any help. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.