Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

how to determine filter type from component values
how to determine filter type from component values
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2020, 11:33 PM   #1
maglevrabbit is offline maglevrabbit
diyAudio Member

Smile how to determine filter type from component values

I am trying to determine the type and frequency of the filters in some vintage speaker crossovers (Wharfedale Denton, Linton), but can find no online documentation. There are plenty of resources, written calculations and software, that allow you to determine the component values given the frequency and filter type, but I need to go the other way round. Once you get above a first order filter, the topology seems to stay the same, but the Q of each part of the filter (2 in the case of a second order) varies for each type, and so therefor does the component value.

I can iterate through a software tool trying lots of different frequencies, but I have to do this for Butterworth, Bessel, Linkwitz-Reilly, Elliptical, etc, which is a lot of work for an oldy like me. Also, I have yet to stumble on software tools for filter types other than LR or Butterworth. What if my filter is a Bessel?

Anyone know of a shortcut of any kind, either written or in software?
Much appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 13th May 2020, 11:46 PM   #2
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

You can't, since the coil inductance isn't usually written, sometimes nor the capacitors isn't written either..
Some crossovers include additional components in order for correcting speaker or enclosure defects / frequency response.

how to determine filter type from component valuesHide this!Advertise here!