Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

CAD software ?
CAD software ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2019, 12:12 PM   #1
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default CAD software ?

Hi all,

As Im coming from a design background I used to work with AutoCAD and 3dsMax (around 20 years back) and I sometimes lately use Rhino3D but Im not really doing modelling there.

What do people here use for 3d modelling speakers cabinets?? Enlighten me on the new things!
Old 6th November 2019, 07:52 AM   #2
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

SketchUp for quick concept plans and perhaps quick medium quality renders with realistic material look. But if the goal is to have the same model used for a CNC or a 3D later then Sketchup is not the best as it draws circles as polygons in background etc.

For the above manufacturing reason I like the Fusion 360 that is a proper parametric 3D CAD, but also allows me to create CAM files for CNC milling inside the same software as well as export full quality STL models for 3D printer.
For hobby use there is a "Startup License" available for free. So that is a plus too.
Old 6th November 2019, 09:33 AM   #3
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergo View Post
SketchUp for quick concept plans and perhaps quick medium quality renders with realistic material look. But if the goal is to have the same model used for a CNC or a 3D later then Sketchup is not the best as it draws circles as polygons in background etc.

For the above manufacturing reason I like the Fusion 360 that is a proper parametric 3D CAD, but also allows me to create CAM files for CNC milling inside the same software as well as export full quality STL models for 3D printer.
For hobby use there is a "Startup License" available for free. So that is a plus too.
Thanks for your reply.

We also use Fusion in the office for our CNCs so I will probably invest a bit more with with this. I have only opened it once to see if it runs hehe
I never though of it as a parametric CAD so Ill try to spend a bit more time with it.
Old 6th November 2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Thomas Spilcker is offline Thomas Spilcker  Denmark
diyAudio Member

LibreCAD 2 D . free .

CAD software ?Hide this!Advertise here!