CAD software ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

As Im coming from a design background I used to work with AutoCAD and 3dsMax (around 20 years back) and I sometimes lately use Rhino3D but Im not really doing modelling there.

What do people here use for 3d modelling speakers cabinets?? Enlighten me on the new things!

SketchUp for quick concept plans and perhaps quick medium quality renders with realistic material look. But if the goal is to have the same model used for a CNC or a 3D later then Sketchup is not the best as it draws circles as polygons in background etc.

For the above manufacturing reason I like the Fusion 360 that is a proper parametric 3D CAD, but also allows me to create CAM files for CNC milling inside the same software as well as export full quality STL models for 3D printer.
For hobby use there is a "Startup License" available for free. So that is a plus too.

SketchUp for quick concept plans and perhaps quick medium quality renders with realistic material look. But if the goal is to have the same model used for a CNC or a 3D later then Sketchup is not the best as it draws circles as polygons in background etc.

For the above manufacturing reason I like the Fusion 360 that is a proper parametric 3D CAD, but also allows me to create CAM files for CNC milling inside the same software as well as export full quality STL models for 3D printer.
For hobby use there is a "Startup License" available for free. So that is a plus too.

Thanks for your reply.

We also use Fusion in the office for our CNCs so I will probably invest a bit more with with this. I have only opened it once to see if it runs hehe :)
I never though of it as a parametric CAD so Ill try to spend a bit more time with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.