KiCad Fusion360 Python for PCBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The many versions of KiCad 5 are my problem. Several Operating systems and the like. The biggest problem in learning is that the videos on YouTube do not share a common version and that makes learning a very difficult thing. But I think I am well up the learning curve and I am making some real progress now. But I never thought that it would be this hard. I hope that the whole thing will settle down soon. Thanks to all that have been positive and shared a lot. Thanks

You'll appreciate it in the long run (unless you have a big budget for commercial solutions).
The one feature that I wish that KiCAD had is curved traces.

After a time, you'll see other software become more expensive and prohibitive, while KiCAD gets better and openly works on nearly any machine for free.

If you need more help, don't be afraid to ask. I could also put together the symbols for you if needed. Usually I have set my own libraries in my own folder that is in my home directory that are freely editable (and easy to .zip for dating/versioning/backup). Most of these I drew myself, (because I like them as small as possible), but whenever I need something in a pinch, I just copy/duplicate to my folder (library) and make any necessary adjustments necessary. As far as the PCB footprints, I have modified all of them that I didn't make myself. I use different silkscreen and text sizes and particular pads and shapes etc.. Much of which can be done globally to all present footprints on your current board, using the 'edit' menu (then you can actually archive all of the globally edited prints on your board into your own module library)!

Just work with what you need and you'll grow with it.

Thanks for sharing, I am growing daily in this. Climbing the some what steep learning curve. But it is doable. I am a long time AutoCad and other programs user. I use to sell systems and did a lot of instruction. So I am continuing on. I will say that KiCad is not easy for one very important reason. It is changing very rapidly and has a lot of Chiefs and that they do not agree on some important issues. So overall I enjoy the challenge and will ride the bull one day with ease. Maybe catch up to some of the Real Riders here someday soon, like yourself. We will see, I really like the Python aspect of this, I did program in AutoLisp, back in the day, and AutoLisp has some similarities to Python in the list management and manipulation areas. I am also integrating Fusion 360 into my acquisition of tools and it is an AutoDesk product, like AutoCad. And Python friendly. Getting old and have to use a 32inch monitor to see, but it is okay.

If you like, please make a LT1022a opamp for the protection circuit, unless you can direct me to one that has already been made. Symbol, Footprint and 3D. I have about 5 other devices that I am doing the same for and will share on GitHub later.

Thanks

[special=linear:OPA179]%[/special] will do fine for the symbol. (You might want to copy it and rename it to LT1022 just in case you later want to customize it.)

[special=Housings_DIP:DIP-8_W7.62mm]%[/special] will work for the footprint, although I prefer [special=DIP-8_W7.62mm_LongPads]%[/special] (or [special=DIP-8_W7.62mm_Socket_LongPads]%[/special] if you're socketing it).

I'm sure one of these has a nice 3D model, but I only 3D-generate the board itself so I wouldn't know.

PS: the names may be slightly different in your install; I'm still using the 4.0 libraries because I heavily customized them.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here is the KiCad footprint that I used, to place a 2SA1381 (also a 2SC3503) on my PCB. The transistor is mounted upon an Aavid 5811 heatsink, which has mechanical support pegs that need matching holes on the PCB. Don't worry, the TO-126 fits perfectly.

_

Attachments

• Aavid_heatsink_5811.pdf
    211.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Kicad_Footprint.zip
    596 bytes · Views: 49
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.