Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Help with measurements in ARTA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2019, 02:41 AM   #1
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with measurements in ARTA

Disclaimer: I am only interested in pointers for ARTA since I've found it easier to use and I've purchased a license.

Hi, I'm interested in measuring a SE tube amp with different output tubes and load resistors. I'll be doing the tests initially on my SS amp until I'm confident with the testing process.

My setup consists of a PC with E-MU 0404 PCIe card, pmillett SC interface, Windows 7 (for driver compatibility) and ARTA.

I've done calibration and run the SPA FFT measurement and I _think_ it is working as expected.

Things I'm unsure of: 1) How to set the amp volume - I've been setting the amp volume so that the output voltage matches the input voltage, i.e, if the generated signals is -3dbFS, that is where I set the volume pot on the amp. Is this the correct way?

2) Frequency Response - I've done this both through FR1, and though IMP. In FR1, the response is almost ruler flat. When running the IMP test and marking a region, rolloff can be observed below 40hz. What is the proper way to measure this?

3) Power output - This part confuses me. With signal generator set to -3db FS, that is about 2.8V output. Due to matching the amp volume to input (as described in #1), the output is always 2.8V RMS or ~4V pk-pk. To measure output, I am doing V^2/R (R is the resistance of the dummy load). Doing it this way basically results in the same power output for anything I measure. Opening the pot all the way causes significant distortion, so what is the correct procedure here?

4) Output Z - is it possible to compute with ARTA?

Sorry for the long post, tips for any of the questions would help me greatly
Old 6th September 2019, 11:04 AM   #2
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Take a look at STEPS (part of ARTA package) and the Help for that. For amplifier testing the stepped sine method can be more reliable.

You can also take a look at a document I once did about ARTA calibrations. Thats for speaker measurements but perhaps helps to understand how the cal fields and values work in ARTA
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:47 AM   #3
voltwide is online now voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I would recommend an 30dB-attenuator between output and soundcard input. This keeps ADC modulation in the range -10 ~ -20dBFS where its own THD is at minimum.
Old 10th September 2019, 03:35 PM   #4
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

@ergo, thanks for the tip about STEPS.. I've used it and found the graphs useful.

Can anyone else comment on questions 1, 3 & 4 ?
Old 10th September 2019, 05:52 PM   #5
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Have you tried the method from ARTa handbook
http://www.artalabs.hr/AppNotes/ARTA...%20English.pdf

And for power see the handbook for LIMP
http://www.artalabs.hr/AppNotes/STEP..._4_English.pdf
and the
3.3. Voltage- or power-related measurements with STEPS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg out_imp.jpg (52.1 KB, 45 views)

Help with measurements in ARTAHide this!Advertise here!