Help with measurements in ARTA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disclaimer: I am only interested in pointers for ARTA since I've found it easier to use and I've purchased a license.

Hi, I'm interested in measuring a SE tube amp with different output tubes and load resistors. I'll be doing the tests initially on my SS amp until I'm confident with the testing process.

My setup consists of a PC with E-MU 0404 PCIe card, pmillett SC interface, Windows 7 (for driver compatibility) and ARTA.

I've done calibration and run the SPA FFT measurement and I _think_ it is working as expected.

Things I'm unsure of: 1) How to set the amp volume - I've been setting the amp volume so that the output voltage matches the input voltage, i.e, if the generated signals is -3dbFS, that is where I set the volume pot on the amp. Is this the correct way?

2) Frequency Response - I've done this both through FR1, and though IMP. In FR1, the response is almost ruler flat. When running the IMP test and marking a region, rolloff can be observed below 40hz. What is the proper way to measure this?

3) Power output - This part confuses me. With signal generator set to -3db FS, that is about 2.8V output. Due to matching the amp volume to input (as described in #1), the output is always 2.8V RMS or ~4V pk-pk. To measure output, I am doing V^2/R (R is the resistance of the dummy load). Doing it this way basically results in the same power output for anything I measure. Opening the pot all the way causes significant distortion, so what is the correct procedure here?

4) Output Z - is it possible to compute with ARTA?

Sorry for the long post, tips for any of the questions would help me greatly

Take a look at STEPS (part of ARTA package) and the Help for that. For amplifier testing the stepped sine method can be more reliable.

You can also take a look at a document I once did about ARTA calibrations. Thats for speaker measurements but perhaps helps to understand how the cal fields and values work in ARTA
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Attachments

• out_imp.jpg
    out_imp.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 210
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.