LTSpice vs Micro-cap. There both free now, whats the difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MicroCap has a nicer human interface (i.e, it's more user friendly).
MicroCap has more functions set up and ready to use (for example, distortion analysis).
I would guess (with high confidence) that the users network for LT SPICE dwarfs MicroCap, so LT SPICE users have a higher likelihood for finding someone has already solved a problem they have.

Both at great and you certainly can't beat the price!

mlloyd1

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Just heard Microcap is now free. Ive been a Ltspice user for a decade but never tried microcap and would like to know the differences and if its worth learning. Anybody well versed in both?

Many thanks for posting that - I hadn't noticed. I have been using Micro-Cap since it became available on MS-DOS and you had to enter a net list. Compared to any other package I consider it the number 1 because it's very user-friendly. Drawing a circuit is faster than scribbling it on a piece of paper. It now also has a kind of "smoke alert!" warning, IOW can warn of a circuit that produces the desired output(s) but under working conditions that would be destructive to the devices. With the aid of Micro-Cap I could even make an entire "sub-1ppm IMD & THD" library of amplifier designs and now am working on the little known Zeta AC-DC converter, a topology that not only provides PFC by itself but also can provide an easy soft-start ( = inrush free). The pic is just one example of what's possible for audio design with Micro-Cap.

Attachments

• Viva Micro Cap.jpg
    Viva Micro Cap.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 1,665
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Aridace, that is impressive. How much of what you show is intrinsically uCap, and what is using you own special-purpose subsystems?

Jan

It's all Micro-Cap (uC). Because setting up a circuit in uC is faster than drawing it on paper, it's obvious to use subcircuits and macros - uC has plenty (and now a lib of 457 tubes too). I use subcircuits and macros mostly in RF design, then construct things like RF transformers, measure them (L and leakage inductance), substitute the values in uC and (eventually) change component values. Wide band RF antenna amps (0.1...100 MHz) work as simmed, with 20dB or more NFB via the transformer...
In audio I immediately use real components. I could add a few rules to audio amplifier design for lowest distortion and the circuit with the darlingtons is "proof of the pudding". With lateral mosfets it's easy to get 0.05 ppm (20 KHz) and ~-160 dB IMD (1.9 & 2.3 KHz) at up to 200 W. The loop gain probe enables you to change a component value and immediately see the effect on stability.

The following is the license that pops up and you have to agree to install microcap 12.
I bolded the important part.

Wonder what their revenue model is now since they're giving the sw away?

Micro-Cap License Agreement and Disclaimer

Micro-Cap is Spectrum Software's circuit simulation software. As of 7/4/2019, it is available free to the entire engineering community.

This software is copyrighted. You are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable, royalty-free right to perform general circuit simulation.

While we have made every effort to ensure that Micro-Cap operates in the manner described, we do not guarantee operation to be error free. Upgrades, modifications, or repairs to this program will be strictly at the discretion of Spectrum Software.

The software and related documentation are provided "AS IS" and without warranty of any kind. Spectrum Software expressly disclaims all other warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Under no circumstances will Spectrum Software be liable for damages, either direct or consequential, arising from the use of this product or from the inability to use this product, even if we have been informed in advance of the possibility of such damages.

Redistribution of this software is permitted as long as it is distributed in its entirety, with all documentation, sample circuit files, and models without modification or additions.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
The following is the license that pops up and you have to agree to install microcap 12.
I bolded the important part.

Wonder what their revenue model is now since they're giving the sw away?

[...].

Having worked with LTspice and Tina too, the fastest way to get a simulation running is with uC and version 12 has an even faster learning curve than preceding versions. This is also suggested by the low traffic volume on the uC mailing list: Yahoo! Groups
Which might mean semiconductor industries could be interested to pay for continuation of uC, also as a replacement for LT spice because those used to do everything via command lines can do that in uC too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.