How to - Distortion Measurements with REW

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
the XLR/TRS inputs can be used for microphone or general balanced signals. It has a gain knob so it’s perfectly suitable for balanced signals from your dummy load resistor. Just make sure the attenuator (10:1) is usually enough to prevent damage to the front end preamp. You can also use single ended input that is on some units but that won’t be balanced and might be noisier.

On 2i4 all inputs are XLR “microphone” inputs.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 9.12.01 PM.png

So, here we go...I ordered an Akitika oscillator and I connected it to the 2i2 using a contraption of a cable that connects the center pin of a RCA cable to the VE+ of a 3-pin XLR and the shield wire of the RCA to the VE- of the same 3-pin XLR. Of course, I connected the RCA end to the oscillator and the XLR end to the 2i2.

It looks quite good, maybe too good.

I didn't know what to enter in the "FS Sine Vrms" box, so I put the RMS value the oscillator was outputting during the capture. Honestly, I have no clue if I should have left 1 V in that box.

On the oscillator, the 382.6 mV value corresponded the mid-position of the pot.

Finally, the input gain knob on the 2i2 was at minimum (fully CCW).

You press Calibrate Level, and then enter the RMS voltage you measure with a DMM without turning the signal off, because REW measures the signal level to know what the calibration factor is. If you know 0dbFS for that specific input you can use presets by clicking on the corner of the voltage entry box. But if you have an input with a pot or attenuator there are not enough presets. In any case calibrating each time does provide a good sanity check before going all in.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
So, I have another, most likely, silly question.

I built my dummy load + attenuator prototype box, and I am verifying it:

The sine going in is this one:

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 1.11.44 PM.png

28 Vpp, definitely in need of attenuation for the microphone inputs of the 2i2.

The sine wave after the dummy load + switchable attenuator combo is this one:

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 1.12.10 PM.png

Clearly, the shape of the wave has been significantly altered.

The attenuator circuit is as described there:

https://www.akitika.com/documents/BuildingTheAttenuatorRev4.pdf

The above graphs are from LTSpice.

The question is: For the purpose of making measurements, why isn't this a problem?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 3.09.09 PM.png

this is the output at -6 dB, with the LEDs removed from the attenuator circuit

So, the Spice model I use for the LEDs must not match the actual LED the BOM calls for...

I want to believe the actual LED do not distort the signal as the Spice model I was using, but I cannot find a model for the Kingbright WP3A8GD LED.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
The LEDs clip the signal if it is too high in order to protect the sound card. It is an indication to increase the attenuation to bring the signal level down to a safe level.

I do understand the principle, but I am not sure it's that easy to decide by the brightness of the LEDs if they have started conducting...hence, it might not be easy to determine when they start messing with the integrity of the signal...

Trying to build a model for that particular LED. Will update.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You need to select the attenuation stage such that the output at the LED’s is under 1vrms (2.83vpp) - the LED’s are doing exactly what they are designed for. For 56vpp you need to use at least —30dB attenuation to get below 2.8vpp, to avoid clipping at the LED overload protector. I have been using a fixed 11:1 attenuator (no LED overload protector) and it works fine for most signals. Input of 2i2 can be much higher than 1Vrms.

IMG_0931.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
You need to select the attenuation stage such that the output at the LED’s is under 1vrms (2.83vpp) - the LED’s are doing exactly what they are designed for. For 56vpp you need to use at least —30dB attenuation to get below 2.8vpp, to avoid clipping at the LED overload protector. I have been using a fixed 11:1 attenuator (no LED overload protector) and it works fine for most signals. Input of 2i2 can be much higher than 1Vrms.

Yes, it’s all good. I was able to build a model for those LEDs and I verified everything.
As long as you keep 1 Vrms or less at the output, LEDs don’t mess with the signal at all.

The box is almost ready.

I still struggle with understanding what I need to do with “FS sine Vrms” in the RTA window when I feed the DUT from the Akitika oscillator.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
@JohnPM

Let's see if John can settle the score.

First, the set-up:

1) Akitika 1 kHz oscillator as the source, connected to the amplifier using a single RCA cable. The other amplifier input is shorted.

2) A cable from the amplifier output to the 3-pin XLR input 1 of a Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.

There is no volume knob leading into the amplifier.

There are 3 knobs on the 2i2: 1) A big knob marked "Monitor", 2) a gain knob for input 1, 3) and a gain knob for input 2.

I calibrated the audio interface in REW and the preferences pane looks as follows:

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 11.24.06 AM.png

During the calibration process, I had to turn up the "Monitor" knob so that input level would match output level, as indicated by the Out/In gauges.

Does that mean the "Monitor" knob should be left at the same position for the calibration to remain valid?

Now, in the RTA window,

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 11.34.05 AM.png

Should there be an extra calibration in place for the input?

and

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 11.34.22 AM.png

Should I uncheck "Get fundamental from generator"? Since the Akitika oscillator generates the signal instead of the REW generator?

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 11.37.28 AM.png

Should "Ref resistance" be adjusted to match the value of the dummy load?

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 11.38.32 AM.png

Finally, here, how to use this "FS sine Vrms" and the associated "Calibrate level" button, when the source of the signal is the Akitika oscillator?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
And what ChatGPT says:

When using an external oscillator to generate the sine wave for testing purposes, and especially when you’re not utilizing the sound card or audio interface’s output for generating the test signal, the focus shifts towards the input side of your setup for calibration purposes.

In this context, the goal is to establish the maximum undistorted input level that your sound card or audio interface can receive and process. This adjustment is essential because it ensures that the measurements you take with REW accurately reflect the signal being analyzed, particularly when you’re feeding the signal into the system from an external source.

Here’s the adjusted approach:

1. Connecting the External Oscillator: Connect the output of your external oscillator to the input of your sound card or audio interface. If you’re measuring the amplifier’s output using the oscillator as the signal source, make sure to set up your test signal path correctly.
2. Measuring Maximum Clean Input Level:
• Use the external oscillator to generate a stable sine wave.
• Adjust the output level of the oscillator and observe the input level on your sound card or audio interface, aiming to find the maximum level it can handle without distortion or clipping. This can often be monitored through software that comes with the audio interface or through visual indicators on the interface itself.
• The objective is to determine the highest signal level that can be input into your system cleanly, without inducing distortion.
3. Setting “FS sine Vrms” in REW: After determining the maximum clean input level, you should input this value as the “FS sine Vrms” in REW. This tells REW the voltage level that corresponds to the full-scale input signal of your audio interface, allowing REW to accurately convert the digital signal levels into real-world voltages and SPL measurements.
4. Calibration for Accuracy: It’s also important to calibrate the measurement chain in REW, ensuring that the SPL measurements reflect the actual sound pressure level produced by the amplifier or speakers. This may involve using a known reference sound source or a calibrated measurement microphone with its sensitivity accurately entered into REW.

By focusing on the input level of your audio interface or sound card when using an external oscillator, you ensure that REW’s measurements are based on accurately scaled input signals. This approach maintains the integrity of your measurements, allowing for precise analysis and calibration of your audio setup.

ChatGPT is very convincing. 🤣

Joined 2021
Paid Member
You should make a measurement with 1.00Vrms as measured by your DMM. Click that calibrate button and enter 1.00Vrms. Then take an RTA measurement and give it same 1.00Vrms and see if full scale 0dB is reached. Simple.

Let me rephrase this:

1) Measure with a DMM 1 Vrms of output out of the Akitika.
2) Connect the Akitika directly to the input of audio interface.
3) Start a RTA measurement.
4) Click “Calibrate” and enter 1 Vrms.
5) Verify that the RTA display now shows that the test sine reaches 0 dB.

Did I get this right?