Software program to measure frequency response from external white noise source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any software program that can take white noise as input from an external source and provide freq response of that source ? For example, I would like to record/input a track of white noise that is on a vinyl record or a tape and get the freq response from the program.
Most popular programs work in a loopback fashion so they have to record the same signal they output but I need something that can work with an externally produced signal like in my example.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is there any software program that can take white noise as input from an external source and provide freq response of that source ? For example, I would like to record/input a track of white noise that is on a vinyl record or a tape and get the freq response from the program.
Most popular programs work in a loopback fashion so they have to record the same signal they output but I need something that can work with an externally produced signal like in my example.

Technically what you want is not a freq response, as a freq response would be the response of the source to an external input.
What you want is the noise level over frequency of a source. So you want a noise level graph. Indeed, I think REW can do it, as can ARTA or any of the other free analysis programs.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no freq response as such. A freq response is the relation of input to out put and in your case there is no input, you just look at what is on the record, if I understand you.

It would be a freq response if you would cut the record with a noise signal and then compare with what comes off it.

You want to look at noise over frequency I think. Just take a record and look at the noise on it. I presume you will look at a no-signal run-in or run-out groove?

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.