Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Advices on First Crossover Design (VituixCAD2)
Advices on First Crossover Design (VituixCAD2)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2019, 09:16 PM   #381
MrZoltan is offline MrZoltan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
-of course don't forget that you are still "gating/windowing".

(..and will need to do a near-field measurement for freq.s lower than 300 Hz.)

Still, what you are typically "shooting" for here is about 500 Hz for most of the baffle effects on dispersion. (..for a typically "narrow" baffle loudspeaker.)

Note: the results of the rear of the open-box will look weird.

Yeah I still have to gate, I have noticed by doing so it smooth the frequency response but I suppose I should not have too much invisible dip & peaks because of that

Yep near-field at -20db, will not forget

I don't understand what you mean by shooting for 500Hz, do you speak about the accuracy of the measurement ?

So at first measuring on just the front baffle without box there is not point passing 90 and even I should get some wave cancellation in some frequencies because it's a narrow baffle and back-wave will cancel front-wave (if I understand right)

I suppose It's only when the cabinet is complete that this can be useful to measure 180

So when you say weird at the rear is it about that Mid High open cabinet or just the front baffle ?
Old 20th July 2019, 05:23 PM   #382
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

500 Hz presents a lower freq. limit where most diffraction effects for typical speakers are relatively uniform. As you go higher in freq. diffraction effects start becoming less uniform.

-of course with your loudspeaker design that's not true because of the open-box design: the dispersion pattern toward the open-rear of the loudspeaker (for mid + tweet) will look quite different: showing a lot of diffraction artifacts that won't look anything like the frequency response of the front/baffle of the loudspeaker. (ie. "weird" looking.)

..and yes, 180 degrees for the loudspeaker box. About 72 degrees for a test baffle.
Old 20th July 2019, 09:37 PM   #383
MrZoltan is offline MrZoltan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
500 Hz presents a lower freq. limit where most diffraction effects for typical speakers are relatively uniform. As you go higher in freq. diffraction effects start becoming less uniform.

-of course with your loudspeaker design that's not true because of the open-box design: the dispersion pattern toward the open-rear of the loudspeaker (for mid + tweet) will look quite different: showing a lot of diffraction artifacts that won't look anything like the frequency response of the front/baffle of the loudspeaker. (ie. "weird" looking.)

..and yes, 180 degrees for the loudspeaker box. About 72 degrees for a test baffle.

Ok clear to me now thanks

I hope that 100uf capacitor is enough to protect that tweeters when I will make measurements, If I measure it at around 75dB taking into account the natural roll-of of the driver it start to go down at 378hz and reach 55Hz at 40dB

I'll have to help my parents to pack & move to a new place, once that is done I'll begin working on the front baffle, I really need to start making some progress

Advices on First Crossover Design (VituixCAD2)Hide this!Advertise here!