Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Advices on First Crossover Design (VituixCAD2)
Advices on First Crossover Design (VituixCAD2)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #361
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

-as far as making axial measurements of loudspeakers:

I move the mic., NOT the loudspeaker.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #362
MrZoltan is offline MrZoltan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
-I'm not qualified to really tell you how to best measure loudspeakers (or just drivers in cabinets).

I do this on a platform outside. (..to get a free-field condition). Surrounding noise outside can be a problem, as can just finding the space to do it. (..even then I typically use some rockwool on the ground around the platform.)

While I've also done this inside my home, I've never done that well. The exception might be book-shelf speakers on a stand and getting as a low (in freq.) a good 1 meter measurement as possible. THAT involved moving it away from all reflective surfaces in a similar manner to the test baffle approach. ..and usually required quite a lot of pillows around the stand.

I'd look to Kimmosto's guides on this technique.

I have read Kimmosto "VituixCAD_Measurement_Preparations_REW" and it's quiet complete about measurement in that case, so in theory I n this specific case I should raise the Woofer at half the eight between floor and ceiling and as far as possible from the wall to keep the time window as large as possible without reflection

As for the Tweeter and mid it seem if they are close together I could measure with the microphone pointing in the middle of the eight between the two, but to be safe I should get the right elevation for each

The theory it is great, but I am now thinking how I can practically do that.
At first if I measure the drivers in just the front baffle panel I can manage to balance that on the platform and build something that will fit the size of that baffle to be at the right elevation (y) but if after if I have a complete cabinet to measure at that eight it is another challenge as the whole thing is clearly out of balance if the platform isn't very large to balance.

I'll thinker a bit and see what I can come-up with, I will not yet worry about building something that is adjustable yet to accommodate different sizes of baffle/cabinet

It's Ok that you can't help on that, you have done much already

I'll make a new thread and ask for help on that matter if need be.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #363
MrZoltan is offline MrZoltan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
-as far as making axial measurements of loudspeakers:

I move the mic., NOT the loudspeaker.

I can do that for the eight but I don't trust myself on the off-axis moving the mic, I have already received a 32cm rotating plate on ball bearing that should help me with that, I'll screw that to two boards and mark the off-axis angles on it to help me with the precision.
Old Today, 04:48 AM   #364
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

-you could do it with the rotating plate effectively on the "ceiling" with an extension out (meter + mic. & boom) for the stand "inverted/up-side-down". Center of the rotating plate with a plumb-bob & string hanging down to tweeter for centering (and removed afterward for measuring).

If you don't need it to go out much more than 90 degrees then you could make a stand with the rotating plate under the stand (not connected to the stand), but with the rotating plate's center in-line with the loudspeaker's tweeter as the loudspeaker is placed on the stand.

BTW, I typically just used the mic./boom/stand with a string attached to the boom where the length of the string was 1 meter from the end of the mic. heading-out to the loudspeaker (plus the distance on the boom to the vertical stand). Stretch it out to the tweeter when you need the correct distance (and let it flop back to the floor when measuring). It is tedious though.. (and I wasn't doing a lot of off-axis measurements).

-of course that's just horizontally.

Last edited by ScottG; Today at 04:58 AM.

Advices on First Crossover Design (VituixCAD2)Hide this!Advertise here!