Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Installing and using ngspice - an opensource simulator
Installing and using ngspice - an opensource simulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2019, 11:00 PM   #161
bea is offline bea  Germany
diyAudio Member

Just found a tool to migrade from LTSpice to Kicad (i'm collecting info before actually porceeding and before i decide which tool to use): GitHub - laurentc2/LTspice2Kicad: LTspice to Kicad schematic conversion

AFAIK, qucs does provide tube symbols. In gschem, i did not find any, and in Kicad it looks as if they could at least be imported. LTSpice provides a few generic symbols for tubes, and the tube models are adapted to them.
Old Yesterday, 02:42 AM   #162
diyAudio Member

Quick step forward: i tried the translate2geda tool. Does useful work, but requires dedicated symbols. A limited set of symbols is supplied, but as expected it is far from complete. For example, generic JFETs and of course also tubes are missing.
Anyway, encouraging. (a repository of user contributed symbols might be helpful..)

How Do others deal with this?
Old Today, 01:10 AM   #163
diyAudio Member

After a bit of exploration of gschem + ngspice my impression is that

- LTSpice is faster.

The above simulation with that simple old tube model took surprisingly long compared to what i intend to do.

- gschem is "just" a schematic editor, admittedly a really nice one.

Do i see correctly that i *MUST* use the command line in order to produce the netlist and to script and start ngspice? No way to embed it into or attach it to the schematic like in LTSpice's editing shell? And ntspice uses its builtin gnuplot and not the good old standalone tool?

If that's really true gEDA will remain the niche product it always was :-(
While i am old fashioned enough to be able to live with that - the typical young GUI user will feel miserable on that. Regardless of the chances that opens - using other simulators (Xyce, Gnucap) where appropriate, for example.

LTSpice is a lot more comfortable in this respect.
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astx View Post
BTW: Qucs without "studio" is an active project, open source, supports ngspice and xyce - have a look at source code mirror: GitHub - Qucs/qucs: Qucs Project official mirror
Yes, indeed - and the dev team of qucs has forked a different branch named qucs-S that provides exactly those features.

I'm going to evaluate its possibilities as well.

Installing and using ngspice - an opensource simulatorHide this!Advertise here!