Boxsim v.2.0 launched!!

Hello all,

After 6 years or so, UweG had just launched the new version of Boxsim, now v2.0!
Momentarily, it seems that the official site is not yet launched, however the software is downloadable from the Visaton forum.
Boxsim 2.0 ist erschienen - Visaton Diskussionsforum

After a question I've posted on the site a while back, UweG was nice enough to create a separate, English language thread for non-German speakers:
First Development version of Boxsim in english language - Visaton Diskussionsforum

It contains some new, exciting features, some of the drivers have been re-measured using a new infinite baffle method right at the Visaton labs.

So, thanks Uwe, thanks Visaton, great work!

Reality is that anything could be adequate and intuitive for someone, and the others are not able to understand such a crap and limited application and bad opinion :) I suppose mandatory features have been available in some application for few decades, but available apps don't fit for someone capable to make his own, or programming is main part of diy hobby or commercial audio work. These are probably the main reasons why new programs are born. Who makes this for living and for the others? Now we have dozens of free simulation tools done for authors' personal needs and preferences.

used the previous version on and off and have now had time to play with the new v2.0. Biggest improvement for me is the ability to simulate active crossovers and dsp and then use the optimiser to ...er....optimise them.

Being able to simulate different crossover and notch filters (parametric) and then let the optimiser perfect them is very easy and nice (if a little slow on my i5 machine).

I guess box directivity is multiplied by either measured or simulated cone directivity, depending on available data and user selection. Those responses are multiplied by filter response at driver's terminals and summed at virtual mic/listening point with 3D math to include timing/phase differences due to different driver locations in multi-way. And finally intensity rms is calculated in two planes with appropriate weighting factors to get estimation of power response on spherical surface.

I think reliable enough - at least as long as you are building conventional box speaker what Boxsim is able to simulate and measured directivity is available for drivers you've selected to the project (or you can measure them "in reference environment" i.e. half space 0-90 deg).

Hello, I'm in doubt about Boxsim usage: when I insert my own frequency response data through frd file, how can I ensure the righ agreement between real source frd and boxsim simulated source? Have I to enter frd data once choosen box data? If I have frd data coming from infinite baffle measurements, before to load it have I to set baffle dimension as very large (ie 500 cm large, 250 cm tall) unchecking diffraction simulation and box dimension as very large (ie closed box 500 liters), choose "Infinite baffle" in dialog and finally load frd data? Only so will Boxsim treat that frd as effectively coming from an infinite baffle?
In other words, I think that box has to be set bofore to load frd data, as very large for frd data coming from infinite baffle and as real for data coming from real box, am I right?

A little bump to this thread. I have been using Boxsim 1.2 for years, and very user friendly it is too.

A new version fills me with horror, and I have had to get down deep with it... :rolleyes:

A lot of forum interest in Boxsim started with cloning the expensive WLM La Scala speaker.

275777d1333759080-classic-monitor-designs-wlm_la_scala_loudspeaker-jpg

My best guess was it was something like this:

519883d1450387173-advice-tl-wlm-la-scala-series-filter-png

519884d1450387173-advice-tl-wlm-la-scala-fr-png

519885d1450387173-advice-tl-wlm-la-scala-phase-png

Alas the new Boxsim 2.0 version does not include the TW70 cone tweeter driver file, and the new file for the W200S drivers is slightly different on measurement.

Software | Visaton

Happily I reckon the huge archive of Visaton designs will still work in version 2.0.

2 Wege – Boxsim Projektdatenbank

BPJ (projekte) files include the Version 1.2 driver files, so can be imported to the projekte folder.

The fifth text file, Boxsim.ini, is created on first launch of the program. So can be deleted and recreated.

Bottom line is the old 18kB chassis or driver files are largely compatible with the new 54kB driver files, which include actual off-axis measurements rather than calculating them. But you don't get half as many driver files in Version 2. Pretty much the paper and aluminium midbasses and a few tweeters.

I have had to email the TW70 version1.2 chassis file and BPJ project file for the WLM to members on occasion. This is OK with the Visaton license, but this forum won't let me upload them without some renaming or zipping, which I don't want to waste time on.

Attachments

• Visaton Base Files.PNG
    Visaton Base Files.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Visaton 2.0 Chassis.PNG
    Visaton 2.0 Chassis.PNG
    99.1 KB · Views: 58
That looks a good site, Mosquito. Many files there. Apparently actual measurements too. Could save a lot of tiresome measurement! :cool:

Unfortunately needs an account log-in if I understand the Italian.

This upload might work. It is my attempt at using the W200S-8 and a very similar Monacor HT-22 cone tweeter with 4th order tweeter. Boxsim 1.2 of course. My current listening as it goes. But I have tried other things too, as in the simpler circuit below.

694142d1532822908-woofer-cabinet-designs-pitch-visaton-w200s-plus-monacor-ht22-8-cone-tweeter-jpg

715079d1542007725-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-monitor-audio-ma300-md-modified-circuit-png

Might save somebody some time. The tweeter file goes in the chassis folder. The project file goes in the Projekte folder. Should work in Boxsim 2.0. I'll just add system7 WLM La Scala to help google find this.

Attachments

• Visaton TW70-8 and 8 inch Project.zip
    35.6 KB · Views: 65