Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Linux - easy or difficult to install?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2018, 09:09 AM   #41
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Just don't go down the Ryzen 2200G or other ryzen's with Vega graphics route. The drivers are not there yet, and most (if not all) mainstream distributions will not install without hanging, if you have one of these processors and use the built in graphics.

Most non-bleeding edge hardware should work out of the box but the AMD GPU driver seems to be quite the work in progress, and a machine with an AMD GPU could give you grief. If you stick to Intel and Nvidia you will likely have no issues at all (note in all my years I've not ever actually built a box with an intel cpu, always AMD). I've first hand experience with ryzen 2200G on linux, and it has been a bumpy road, still not 100% satisfied yet and may not be till 2nd quarter next year.

Tony.
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:24 AM   #42
astx is offline astx  Austria
diyAudio Member

I have opensuse Leap 15 with kernel 4.19 (from download.opensuse.org kernel repository) - the Ryzen 2200G graphic are working very good...
Of course the kernel install is not trivial...
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:16 PM   #43
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I've got back to a mostly stable system now with my ryzen 2200G. I'm running the 4.20 kernel on ubuntu 18.04. the 4.20 is an improvement over 4.19 in that if I do get a gpu hang I can now shut the box down cleanly (was having to hit the reset button!)

Tony.
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:01 PM   #44
Ultima Thule is offline Ultima Thule  Europe
diyAudio Member

Since last summer playing with Linux, more exactly Xubuntu 18.04 which is a flavor of Ubuntu 18.04 but using a different desktop (GUI) on top of it called Xfce which is a bit lighter and faster than Ubuntu's Gnome but less of the eye candy bling, version 18.04 has been quite ok but at times becoming totally unusable due to things like boot up login loop that never enter the desktop and have taken maaany hours to solve, very frustrating, so much I have been considering going back to Windows.

For the time being 18.04, which has been out for half a year, have since couple of months ago had a minor update to 18.04.1, next minor update 18.04.2 is slated for was it end of February or so, currently it feels pretty solid, except for when it has broken it's been of rather fatal nature taking away many hours of productivity.
The pros choosing Ubuntu and its main variants Xubuntu and Lubuntu is due to the abundance of information on the internet which I think is quite important for a beginner.

As a Linux beginner I have come to one conclusion, install dual Linux installations, one on each partition so one always have a working Linux to boot up with via dual boot if and when the other fails, if one have only one computer then this is very convenient if one have look up for troubleshooting info using a real desktop with mouse and keyboard instead of surfing on a smarthpone for help or run to some public computer at the library etc., this also allows one to mount the other Linux partition in case one have to access it to fiddle with some OS related stuff, or just access own files saved on that partition.

Last edited by Ultima Thule; 3rd January 2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:04 PM   #45
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Thule View Post
Since last summer playing with Linux, more exactly Xubuntu 18.04 which is a flavor of Ubuntu 18.04 but using a different desktop (GUI) on top of it called Xfce which is a bit lighter and faster than Ubuntu's Gnome but less of the eye candy bling, version 18.04 has been quite ok but at times becoming totally unusable due to things like boot up login loop that never enter the desktop and have taken maaany hours to solve, very frustrating, so much I have been considering going back to Windows.
I have installed Xubuntu 18.04 on 2 or 3 machines. No problems. Stable.
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:56 PM   #46
angrypat is offline angrypat  United States
diyAudio Member

Distrowatch has a list of Linux distributions (operating systems) with summaries, which desktop (kde, gnome, etc), and usually how difficult or easy install is. Pclinux os is pretty nice and stable.

Linux - easy or difficult to install?Hide this!Advertise here!