Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Coming from Speaker Workshop/LspCAD, which SF to get?
Coming from Speaker Workshop/LspCAD, which SF to get?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2018, 09:47 PM   #1
soulblast is offline soulblast
diyAudio Member

Default Coming from Speaker Workshop/LspCAD, which SF to get?

Okay, so I've had an almost 10 year break in DIY loudspeakers. I did do an awesome pair of speakers with Scan Speak drivers, threw the big and ugly boxes I never did finish for away eventually, and haven't since owned a real hifi pair of speakers. I do still have the Scan Speak drivers and I'm planning to get back to DIY loudspeakers.

The softwares I used back then were a pairing of LspCAD 5.22 demo and Speaker Workshop. What I did was to import anechoic responses of loudspeaker elements into LspCAD and estimate baffle step with simple damping low-shelf filter. Then I simulated a prototype for crossover, and then used Speaker Workshop to measure the speaker, combining windowed response with nearfield to get a farfield estimate. Then obviously optimize the filter finally by ear.

I did like the software combo. What I did like a lot was the estimate for angular dispersion pattern for the filter in LspCAD. Also, it was crucial to get the impulse response, not just the amplitude frequency response from the measurement software. I used Speaker Workshop a lot to also measure room impulse response or frequency response, to pinpoint early reflections and have a clue of total amplitude response.

So what I'm looking for now is the good points that I got out of that software combo, namely accurate impulse response measurement, windowing and FFT as a tool. And then simulation of the polar dispersion pattern of the loudspeaker. What are the tools I should use nowadays? I'd prefer to start with free tools, and later maybe buy max 100-200 worth of softwares. Where should I start? I think LspCAD demo at least ain't available anymore?
Old 11th October 2018, 12:09 PM   #2
JMB is offline JMB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulblast View Post
Okay, so I've had an almost 10 year break in DIY loudspeakers. I did do an awesome pair of speakers with Scan Speak drivers, threw the big and ugly boxes I never did finish for away eventually, and haven't since owned a real hifi pair of speakers. I do still have the Scan Speak drivers and I'm planning to get back to DIY loudspeakers.

The softwares I used back then were a pairing of LspCAD 5.22 demo and Speaker Workshop. What I did was to import anechoic responses of loudspeaker elements into LspCAD and estimate baffle step with simple damping low-shelf filter. Then I simulated a prototype for crossover, and then used Speaker Workshop to measure the speaker, combining windowed response with nearfield to get a farfield estimate. Then obviously optimize the filter finally by ear.

I did like the software combo. What I did like a lot was the estimate for angular dispersion pattern for the filter in LspCAD. Also, it was crucial to get the impulse response, not just the amplitude frequency response from the measurement software. I used Speaker Workshop a lot to also measure room impulse response or frequency response, to pinpoint early reflections and have a clue of total amplitude response.

So what I'm looking for now is the good points that I got out of that software combo, namely accurate impulse response measurement, windowing and FFT as a tool. And then simulation of the polar dispersion pattern of the loudspeaker. What are the tools I should use nowadays? I'd prefer to start with free tools, and later maybe buy max 100-200 worth of softwares. Where should I start? I think LspCAD demo at least ain't available anymore?
If you are looking for free software, probably the ARTA demo software group (ARTA, LIMP), Room Equalizer Wizard or Holm to measure and then to design VituixCAD is probably the most powerful though WinPCD, PSD lite and XSim are also available.

Jay

Coming from Speaker Workshop/LspCAD, which SF to get?Hide this!Advertise here!