Coming from Speaker Workshop/LspCAD, which SF to get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, so I've had an almost 10 year break in DIY loudspeakers. I did do an awesome pair of speakers with Scan Speak drivers, threw the big and ugly boxes I never did finish for away eventually, and haven't since owned a real hifi pair of speakers. I do still have the Scan Speak drivers and I'm planning to get back to DIY loudspeakers.

The softwares I used back then were a pairing of LspCAD 5.22 demo and Speaker Workshop. What I did was to import anechoic responses of loudspeaker elements into LspCAD and estimate baffle step with simple damping low-shelf filter. Then I simulated a prototype for crossover, and then used Speaker Workshop to measure the speaker, combining windowed response with nearfield to get a farfield estimate. Then obviously optimize the filter finally by ear.

I did like the software combo. What I did like a lot was the estimate for angular dispersion pattern for the filter in LspCAD. Also, it was crucial to get the impulse response, not just the amplitude frequency response from the measurement software. I used Speaker Workshop a lot to also measure room impulse response or frequency response, to pinpoint early reflections and have a clue of total amplitude response.

So what I'm looking for now is the good points that I got out of that software combo, namely accurate impulse response measurement, windowing and FFT as a tool. And then simulation of the polar dispersion pattern of the loudspeaker. What are the tools I should use nowadays? I'd prefer to start with free tools, and later maybe buy max 100-200€ worth of softwares. Where should I start? I think LspCAD demo at least ain't available anymore?

Okay, so I've had an almost 10 year break in DIY loudspeakers. I did do an awesome pair of speakers with Scan Speak drivers, threw the big and ugly boxes I never did finish for away eventually, and haven't since owned a real hifi pair of speakers. I do still have the Scan Speak drivers and I'm planning to get back to DIY loudspeakers.

The softwares I used back then were a pairing of LspCAD 5.22 demo and Speaker Workshop. What I did was to import anechoic responses of loudspeaker elements into LspCAD and estimate baffle step with simple damping low-shelf filter. Then I simulated a prototype for crossover, and then used Speaker Workshop to measure the speaker, combining windowed response with nearfield to get a farfield estimate. Then obviously optimize the filter finally by ear.

I did like the software combo. What I did like a lot was the estimate for angular dispersion pattern for the filter in LspCAD. Also, it was crucial to get the impulse response, not just the amplitude frequency response from the measurement software. I used Speaker Workshop a lot to also measure room impulse response or frequency response, to pinpoint early reflections and have a clue of total amplitude response.

So what I'm looking for now is the good points that I got out of that software combo, namely accurate impulse response measurement, windowing and FFT as a tool. And then simulation of the polar dispersion pattern of the loudspeaker. What are the tools I should use nowadays? I'd prefer to start with free tools, and later maybe buy max 100-200€ worth of softwares. Where should I start? I think LspCAD demo at least ain't available anymore?

If you are looking for free software, probably the ARTA demo software group (ARTA, LIMP), Room Equalizer Wizard or Holm to measure and then to design VituixCAD is probably the most powerful though WinPCD, PSD lite and XSim are also available.

Jay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.