ARTA To Test DAC Performance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have. Use the spectrum FFT section. You can look at all sorts of things, single tones, high-mid-low, multi-tones, etc.
Of course you'll need a soundcard with an input to do the measuring. It becomes a little difficult to tell what is the DAC and what is the ADC. The compare overlay function can help there.

I'm sure some other folks will chime in.

I posted some DAC measurements taken with ARTA a few years ago, including impulse response, tone bursts, and IMD. DACs were running at 44.1khz rate, and data was captured at 192kHz Juli@ sound card to try and minimize tainting the DAC behavior with the ADC response. For the DACs in CD players, I used ARTA to export *.wav file that was written to CD and then used ARTA's trigger/capture capability when playing it back. For the stand-alone DACs, you can just feed the signal directly from computer to DAC.

Practical Implementations of Alternative Post-DAC Filtering

In case somebody might be interested in more details of the Pioneer Legato Link DAC see related posts:
Practical Implementations of Alternative Post-DAC Filtering: Post#322
Practical Implementations of Alternative Post-DAC Filtering: Post#326

Last edited:
Interestingly, the largest sampling rate has the largest harmonic distortion. Who would have thought that.

Attachments

• 44.png
    44.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 48.png
    48.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 88.png
    88.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 96.png
    96.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 192.png
    192.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 137
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.