DesignSpark - Free CAD Tools from RS-online - experiences and quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I briefly used the Schematic and PCB software 3 years ago and abandoned it 6 months later for KiCad v4.
Yes it has a large symbol and footprint library, but many are software generated and of low quality. The drawn schematics looked pretty ugly too.
KiCad v5 is much better.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've been using DesignSpark for several years, and I'm happy with it. I think it's easy to use, stable, versatile and well supported. I had a few problems early on getting boards made, but nothing that wasn't fixable (like silkscreen showing up on the wrong layer for some library parts).

If you are designing your own boards, you are probably using new chips that won't be in any libraries. So for me, the most important aspect of a Schematic/PCB program is whether it is easy to develop your own library parts. DesignSpark makes it easy by allowing you to easily modify existing parts--once you get the hang of their approach, it's easy to build new parts very quickly. And once you build up your personal library of proven devices, you won't want to switch tools.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.