Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Getting started with PCB design
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #11
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

It looks fine on KiCad
The arc based curved tracks may be breaking some online viewers
Old 6th December 2019, 07:35 AM   #12
Mixi is offline Mixi  Europe
diyAudio Member

thanks for checking it; really appreciated!
Old 6th December 2019, 08:00 AM   #13
OlegSh is offline OlegSh
diyAudio Member

Hi Mixi,

I also checked your gerbers in Gerbv and all looks OK except you have written "DONE" on the bottom copper layer outside of the board's outline. It may or may not be a problem. Also the GND plane is covering the mount holes area which will lead to shorting the PSU ground to chassis if you use metal stand-offs and screws. I would suggest to isolate the mount holes copper rings from the rest of the GND plane and make a connection with a solder bridge if you intend to use the stand-offs as your chassis ground connection. The curved traces from the reverse bias protection diodes to the 10uF electrolytic caps near the output connector are routed too close to the mount holes. I would add 1 mm of clearance between those traces and the mount hole outlines.

Regards,
Oleg
Old 6th December 2019, 10:11 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Oleg, thanks for your advice - as always!
All of your advice makes a lot of sense to me and I will change it accordingly.
Old 6th December 2019, 10:51 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Actually I just checked the holes. They have some clearance and should not be connected to anything. I would not know how to disconnect them from the ground plane since they don't seem connected in easyeda.

EDIT: There seem to be a few different way of adding holes in EasyEda. I now changed them to plated pads which have clearance around them an no connection to anything (hopefully). Maybe that works better? File attached.

Gerber_PSU 1.0_20191206120229.zip

Last edited by Mixi; 6th December 2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11th December 2019, 09:48 PM   #16
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
Project Horder & Blogger
diyAudio Member

Went from eagle to KiCad a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. As I am curious, I've tried easyeda and circuit maker. I haven't tried the expensive ones, but I doubt they are worth the money as they would have to be very much better than the free KiCad. KiCad has a very good community as well.
Old 18th December 2019, 07:33 PM   #17
john_tracy is offline john_tracy  United States
diyAudio Member

I am new to PCB layout. Where is KiCad available and is it compatible with MacOS?
Old 18th December 2019, 08:08 PM   #18
knutn is offline knutn  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default KiCad

I am using KiCad, too, after many years with OrCAD (Cadence). KiCad:Download | KiCad EDA
Old 18th December 2019, 08:48 PM   #19
john_tracy is offline john_tracy  United States
diyAudio Member

Mac browser Safari doesn't recognize download. Can't open. Tried to post question on KiCad forum but form requires a "category" and I could find no category that this question fit.
Old 18th December 2019, 08:54 PM   #20
OlegSh is offline OlegSh
diyAudio Member

Are you sure you've downloaded the file entirely? It is about 1.2 GB big and may have been broken during download.

Getting started with PCB designHide this!Advertise here!