KiCad autoroute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Experienced cad men rarely use autorouters. They don't take into account star grounding or areas of high sensitivity to interference.

I must admit I do use my autorouter but the go in and spend time fixing the mess it has done. The autorouter is handy for doing short traces and so I usually leave those. I pull out all the grounds and wire them separately to a single point at the pcb edge connector for power. I make sure any audio inputs are as short as possible. I then add copper pours attached to ground around sensitive audio signals.

My software has two good points, you can optimise nets and it can also do a swap-autoplace on components to give you shortest nets.

As a Windows 10 user since it came out I would bin XP pronto and move on to Win 10. You can get Win 10 keys for less than a fiver on ebay so no excuses about cost. Win 10 downloads are available to a flash drive for installation.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
KiCad hasn't supported auto-routing directly for many years as the result of litigation by a number of makers of cad software. In recent versions you can use a related external web based tool that you can access from KiCad Pcbnew.

I use KiCad for all of my personal projects and for analog stuff at least I would never consider auto-routing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.