Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Capture and Layout
Capture and Layout
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2018, 12:56 AM   #1
jfetter is offline jfetter  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Capture and Layout

Im looking at returning to orcad capture and layout. My versions 9 and 9.1 are purchased. Its been fun with Eagle also purchased, but don't see any reason to start new projects.
Old 26th March 2018, 06:59 AM   #2
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Are you offering capture & layout to other members here?

Jan
Old 26th March 2018, 11:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

jan , no just sharing my thoughts on going forward.
Ive been using Eagle for almost ten years, have completed many projects with it but the situtation looks ugly with Autocad's super locked down subscription.
At least I have an alternative with Orcad even if it is an old version. Did many projects with it too but can't run on any of the new windows. Runs under wine and OSX with Crossover.
Old 31st March 2018, 04:05 PM   #4
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

i do not think that orcad9 will run on win10.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It runs on Xp,Vista and the win emulators.

Vista was my last microsoft product.
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:43 AM   #6
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Capture and Layout
Probably not complete enough if you're doing large scale or lots of more advanced design, but I was actually pretty impressed with online layout tool at PCBWeb (PCBWeb - Free PCB Design Software).
Old 3rd April 2018, 01:31 AM   #7
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
using Eagle for almost ten years......but the situtation looks ugly with Autocad's super locked down subscription.
I have been using Eagle since DOS version 2.6, about 25 years. At the time the Cadsoft USA office was in Boca Raton Florida about a 5 minute drive from where I worked and went to school. I could drive over there for help and bug fixes.

I have made over 100 PC board designs including one that sold over 250K units. I'm still using Eagle 5.11 since pricing structure is now beyond the Tubelab budget. To make matters worse, none of the libraries created in V6.00 or later can be read by my old version.

Has anyone tried Design Spark V8.0 or 8.1? Will it still import old Eagle designs and libraries? I have created a lot of custom library parts in 25 years.

Quote:
Im looking at returning to orcad capture and layout.
I used the very early Orcad stuff between tape / mylar and Eagle. We used Mentor Graphics and Cadence PCB tools at work. Orcad and Cadence were very similar products at one point, but I never really liked either. That may just be because of 20 + years of driving Eagle and Mentor Graphics.
Old 3rd April 2018, 04:24 AM   #8
dchisholm is offline dchisholm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
. . . sharing my thoughts on going forward.
Ive been using Eagle for almost ten years . . . .
At least I have an alternative with Orcad even if it is an old version. . . . can't run on any of the new windows. . . .
I don't follow your reasoning. If your out-of-date-but-fairly-recent copy of Eagle is performing acceptably, why would you drop it in favor of an even older copy of Orcad, which is so out-of-date it won't run on a current operating system?

I'm not one to push for the most recent software release without a solid justification. I ran Win2K up until the release of Win7. (In retrospect, probably should have upgraded to XP. Right now my intention is to learn Linux when Win7 becomes impractical.) One of my machines still runs Office 97.

For schematic and layout, I clocked many hours with my copy of PADS (obtained for a freelance gig), then more than a decade with P-CAD due to another gig. Before, after, and between those experiences I had my hands on Orcad, Mentor, Zuken, and a couple others for anywhere from several hours to a few months. Now, software tools DO "wear out" in the sense that the industry requires new capabilities (e.g., controlled impedances or matched trace lengths), truly useful new features appear and accumulate over time, or a program becomes incompatible with current hardware or operating systems. But if a program is doing the job in a satisfactory manner, I understand the motivation to keep it in-service as long as possible.

For three years I have been exclusively on KiCAD, the no-charge open-source schematic and layout software. It has not been easy to learn - perhaps because I kept wanting it to be just like one of the other EDA programs I have used. (Version 5, expected for release this summer but in preview now, promises to remove some of those learning barriers.) Even so, I can turn out work that is every bit the equal of what I did in P-CAD or PADS. And if I have a need for modern features like matched lengths, 3-D modeling, or a 24-layer board, those features are just waiting for me to learn how to use them.

Dale
Old 3rd April 2018, 04:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well two reasons to go back to orcad v9, looking at the finished products, the orcad boards just look beter.
The other is how simple it is to change a library part while using layout or capture.
I really like that. Eagle is not difficult to do same but orcad is just cleaner. The "free shared libraries" are off grid etc and with version compatibility issues. So I usually end up having to create a new part anyway. That too is cleaner on orcad.
Old 5th April 2018, 05:43 AM   #10
dchisholm is offline dchisholm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
. . . . The "free shared libraries" are off grid etc and with version compatibility issues. So I usually end up having to create a new part anyway. . . .
As a matter of course, I expect to spend anywhere from 20% to 90% of the total effort on a board layout, doing "library work".

I wish there was some reproducible way to rate a program's tools for creating symbols and footprints. I think that anybody (or any company) who does more than two or three boards ends up creating and maintaining their own libraries of symbols and footprints. Even so, the marketing hype tries to convince us that an EDA program with 2 million parts in its library is at least twice as good as the program with only 1 million. The people who have never laid out a board (e.g., managers, IT, and inexperienced novices) fall for this kind of hype.

Just once, I'd like to see a program that says,"We give you a library of a couple thousand parts to get started. After you've done your first board, you'll know how to make your own symbols and footprints with little effort.".

Dale

Capture and LayoutHide this!Advertise here!