Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Capture and Layout
Capture and Layout
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 11:42 AM   #51
MarkS is offline MarkS  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Capture and Layout
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
As with the so-called 'mergers' in my former industry oil/gas, the real goal is to totally eliminate a competitor.
Eagle definitely was showing up on the radar and became a target.
That's what Protel did with the original CircuitMaker 2000 which they purchased and promptly closed down. Fortunately, the last version is freely available for download, a quirky move by Protel in recent years but not unlike what they did with the original DOS version of TraxMaker.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:24 PM   #52
dchisholm is offline dchisholm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
. . . Fortunately, the last version is freely available for download, a quirky move by Protel in recent years but not unlike what they did with the original DOS version of TraxMaker.
I'm not familiar with any of the programs you mentioned, but I suspect that the follow-on program is truly far superior to the predecessor, so turning the predecessor into free-ware is not a threat to sales, while maintaining brand recognition and goodwill among users.

Dale
Old 16th April 2018, 12:32 AM   #53
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
so turning the predecessor into free-ware is not a threat to sales, while maintaining brand recognition and goodwill among users.

Dale
The PCBCAD market is a strange place.
There are quite a few free programs that do the job.
Yet there are still plenty of paid for programs.
I have seen some rubbish free stuff but also some very hard to use paid for stuff.
Old 16th April 2018, 05:43 PM   #54
jfetter is offline jfetter  United States
diyAudio Member

So far no issues or problems. I have not emailed any questions.

Its all fairly straight forward, if I have time will do a pdf cheat sheet in colloquial english.

Building up parts a library. Running on an old Vista 2g AMD laptop.

I may buy a touch screen win machine today for upcoming cruise.

-
Old 16th April 2018, 07:04 PM   #55
MarkS is offline MarkS  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Capture and Layout
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
I suspect that the follow-on program is truly far superior to the predecessor
Sadly your suspicion is about as misplaced as you can get. The history of pcb software, since the migration to Windows from DOS in the late 1980's, is replete with poorly designed and malfunctioning bloatware that has left many a professional pcb designer with premature baldness and a rich vocabulary of invective very often deployed towards the authors of those grossly overpriced products on which they depended for their livelihoods...
Old 17th April 2018, 12:01 AM   #56
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Capture and Layout
I use KiCad for my diyAudio work. I like the fact that it's free, I can lay out any board size I like, and I can use as many PCB layers as I like.

Yep, the only footprints I use are the ones I created myself, same as many people here.

I do use some of their schematic symbols, I'd estimate maybe about 30. Many other schematic symbols, I drew myself. A quick EMACS macro extracted their names out of the (all ascii BTW) symbol library:

# Jumper3mm
# LM334
# LM385
# MHOLE
# MHOLE_andpin
# MJ_555
# MJ_78XX_VOLT_REG
# MJ_BUF_HA5002
# MJ_DIODE
# MJ_EDCOR_TRAFO
# MJ_FEEDTHRU
# MJ_LED
# MJ_NMOS_GDS
# MJ_OPAMP_SINGLE_8PINS
# MJ_OPTO1
# MJ_PMOS_GDS
# MJ_Res_vert_zz
# MJ_ResZigZag
# MJ_SCHOTTKY
# MJ_SPDT
# MJ_Trimpot
# MJ_ZENER
# MJ_dual_pot
# MJ_inrush_current_limiter
# R10W_vert
# TL431

Why did I bother drawing my own diode symbol and my own Zener diode symbol? Because the KiCad presupplied symbols have ridiculously stupid pin assignments for these, the exact opposite of the SPICE netlist convention. 3 minutes after realizing this, I had it fixed.
Old 17th April 2018, 12:50 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

I have seen PCBCAD packages with 100,000 library components but still not have the component I wanted.
I would suggest a good component wizard is vital.
Old 17th April 2018, 01:51 AM   #58
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Capture and Layout
Quote:
I use KiCad for my diyAudio work. I like the fact that it's free, I can lay out any board size I like, and I can use as many PCB layers as I like.
Rats! In my haste, I forgot to include my heartfelt praise for KiCad's Auto-Router. I use it quite a lot, yes even on analog PCBs, yes even on phonostage PCBs. Sometimes I don't change a single thing about its routes. Often, I change a few things. Occasionally I discard its work entirely.

The router is nice because it starts from whatever you give it, which could include quite a bit of hand-routing. It does not insist upon routing all nets itself, starting from a bare board. So I'll often hand-route ground (really, the beginnings of the ground pour), supplies, and a few critical nodes. Then let the auto-router have a crack at the rest. If I like its output: done. If I don't, I either discard its routes or discard the worst of its routes. The ones I don't like.

To me the auto-router is like a very fast but slightly dense assistant. Eager to help but sometimes, doesn't do exactly what I wanted. Still, the overall project goes faster with the assistant on the team, than without.
Old 17th April 2018, 01:57 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Using an auto router for some circuits is a big no no.
Especially where ground loops are important and you need to lay a star ground.
Generally though, I tend to let the auto router have a go, then go in and fix what its done.
PCBCAD51 gives you the option of routing one track at a time so I can route important tracks first.
Old 17th April 2018, 05:47 AM   #60
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
....Why did I bother drawing my own diode symbol and my own Zener diode symbol? Because the KiCad presupplied symbols have ridiculously stupid pin assignments for these, the exact opposite of the SPICE netlist convention. 3 minutes after realizing this, I had it fixed.
Because KiCad follows the IPC PCB standards. Unfortunately SPICe doesn't.
PCB CAD software has to prioritise pick and place machine expectations

Capture and LayoutHide this!Advertise here!