Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Best free/cheap apps for diy audio 2018
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2018, 04:06 PM   #1
AudioLapDance is offline AudioLapDance  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Best free/cheap apps for diy audio 2018 (Freq resp, dB level, noise, ...)

Hey All,

I wanted to do a basic sound check in the car and it was cold and snowy and I didn't want to drag all the gear out and thought ...

There's an app for that!

Best free one I've found so far is Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO (some don't have: pause, markers, freq/dB numbers, ...)

Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO - Android Apps on Google Play

fap.png

Real-time spectrum analyzer from 20 to 20kHz (displays "down to" 0Hz [last tick at 21Hz] and up to 21770 Hz [highest I could get])
Pause / capture (screenshot)
2 markers (real-time and paused) and difference
Peak hold
Zoom in on freq scale (real-time and paused)

Bunch of stuff in 'settings': input samples, window function, sampling freq, input source, averaging factor, font size, log scale, markers, peaks, screen on, version, official website, 3rd party notices

Just grab some white / pink noise files (freq sweeps, single tone, multi tone, etc...) and you're good to go! Literally!

High Quality Pink Noise | wav mp3 Audio Files Download

audiocheck.net_pinknoise.zip change .zip to .wav

Pink Noise

Audio engineering test/sample file resources, and online generators and online audio tests | Webel IT Australia "The Elements of the Web"

For more precision you could get a small calibrated mic:

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for Tablets iPhone iPad and Android

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone.jpg

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for Tablets iPhone iPad and Android

Here's some of the old threads:

Audio Test Apps
I Pad / I Phone apps for DIY Audio
Android application - Sound Level Meter
speaker measurement android app
iPhone App for loudspeaker measurement: who wants to try ?

Good post from above (July 2015):

And a nice but dated Freq resp app comparison
http://www.audioxpress.com/files/attachment/2611

Hmmnmmm, what else would be nice to have on the go (portable) on a tablet / phone?

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 4th March 2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 21st August 2018, 11:42 AM   #2
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

I have two apps which are very easy to use -- there is a Decibel converter from Rohde and Schwartz which is quite easy and free -- so you can go from dBm to volts etc. Second app is the HP41 Calculator App -- it was $5.99. If you are stuck in using RPN programming this is for you!

Most frequently used downloaded apps are "I-heart Radio", "Tune-in Radio", "OpenTable", and "Flightaware". I have "TheFork" app but use it only for restaurants in France.
Old 21st August 2018, 01:07 PM   #3
tthorsten is offline tthorsten  Germany
diyAudio Member

SATlive for FFT www.satlive.audio runs on wine with linux and mac also - and Demo 30days full funktion

LEVELchek for SPL DBdrag LevelCheck

both Programs are PC based and has Fulll Demo Mode 30days and runs with WINE on Linux and MAC if you want to try that.

Prices are low and quality of measurment is very good.

Invest in a Roland UA55 and an ISEMCON EMX7510 Measurment mic 150db -+1dB - and go for it.
Old 21st August 2018, 01:10 PM   #4
djoffe is offline djoffe  United States
diyAudio Member

ARTA in demo mode is very useful, and free.

Best free/cheap apps for diy audio 2018Hide this!Advertise here!