Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Automatic crossover designing with XMachina
Automatic crossover designing with XMachina
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2018, 05:37 AM   #11
diyaudnut is offline diyaudnut  United States
diyAudio Member

Very interesting Xmech! Thanks.
Old 9th February 2018, 08:18 PM   #12
XMechanik is offline XMechanik  Poland
diyAudio Member

New version of XMachina: [1180209].

An option to digitize impedance characteristics in logarithmic scale has been added to the axis definition window. (For example Scan-Speak data datasheets use logarithmic impedance charts).

Few simple tools have been implemented in the measurement simulator, supporting to estimate characteristics outside the loaded range.

Click the image to open in full size.

The characteristics can be “tailed” with a specified slope or extrapolated with a slope calculated from the characteristic shape at the edge. In case of impedance characteristics, values of DC resistance (Re) and voice coil inductance (Le) can be utilized for the estimation (Re for low and Le for high frequency range).

Estimation improves the accuracy of phase calculation. It was used also in the previous version but only as an “on the fly” action during the acceptance of measurements simulator results.
Old 11th February 2018, 01:43 PM   #13
prakashbytari is offline prakashbytari  India
diyAudio Member

Hi... i have downloaded the link and pdf doc. can i get the pdf in english version.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashbytari View Post
Hi... i have downloaded the link and pdf doc. can i get the pdf in english version.
Open the page xmachina-ai.blogspot.com and then:
1) click the "Documents" tab,
2) click on the link next to the "(EN)" to download pdf.
This pdf should be in English (that was at least my intention ).

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Last edited by 6L6; 11th February 2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Few improvements and corrections in the new version [1180415]:
  • Measurements simulator: front baffle characteristic is applied also on the LF response.
  • “Recent" submenu was added in the "File" menu for easy re-opening previous works and experiments.
  • Circuit price calculation: when moving mouse over a design node, the price appears in the status bar. This works only if all of the elements included in the circuit have price defined (check your components lists), otherwise it is displayed as "n/a". Remember to use the same currency for all elements when creating lists of components for a design.
Price calculation feature made me think of an idea to include circuit price reduction as an additional (optional) goal for the automatic designer. Maybe it will appear in one of the next versions

Last edited by XMechanik; 19th April 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:01 PM   #16
Mosquito is offline Mosquito  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default ???

I was trying Xmachina, a two way xover, using actually measured frd and zma files (Klipsch K24K woofer, Visaton TW70 tweeter). I set the constraints to medium accuracy, 90dB spl target, 400 to 7000Hz range optimization.
Program give three solutions, I liked the second one, but, but.. I have no clue on how to interpret the proposed filter schematic... any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sin título.gif (17.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (123.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 9th May 2018, 09:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have no clue on how to interpret the proposed filter schematic... any idea?
It's just that:
Automatic crossover designing with XMachina-a01-png

Maybe one remark here, in the task setup windows the first Way is named "Woofer" and the Way with the highest index is named "Tweeter". It looks that it is swapped in your design but there is nothing wrong with this as it is only a naming convention.

After grounding the amp's black connector and inverting polarity of both speakers, the designed crossover appears like this:
Automatic crossover designing with XMachina-a02-png

One more comment, it's about the "Design frequency band" in the task setup window. It defines the focus frequency range for XMachina. In other words, XMachina assumes that it's not importatnt what's going on outside, which may lead to undesirable effects if the range is set too narrow.
If the intention is to optimise (shape) characteristic in a region but also make filters "transparent" outside, just let the target spl follow the drivers characteristics outside, keeping the "Design frequency band" wide enough.
To clarify, I attach a screenshot from XMachina doc as an example (chapter "Target dBspl setting", target characteristic is marked green, woofer is red, tweeter blue):

Automatic crossover designing with XMachina-a04-png
Attached Images
File Type: png a01.png (167.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: png a02.png (11.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: png a04.png (155.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 9th May 2018, 11:41 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I can see it, my error was setting the optimization band too narrow, not understanding the logic of the program.
Nevertheless, I persisted and now this thing is throwing good data, a truly fantastic tool, once You learn how to use it..
Double checking the filters on Xsim is a very good idea too.
Again many thanks for sharing this amazing tool
Old 11th May 2018, 09:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

once you get it running is nothing short than..amazing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (140.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 17th September 2018, 08:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

XMachina latest version: [1180918]

There is a new option in „Parts application strategy” task settings: „Reduce crossover price”.

Automatic crossover designing with XMachina-rp-jpg

Remarks on the new feature:
  • All components on lists selected for the design should have prices entered (see "Loading componets" chapter in the .pdf).
    Automatic crossover designing with XMachina-indtab-jpg
  • This feature was tested with prices converted to EUR, but I think it should also work with a currency that has roughly similar exchange rate like USD or CHF. It’s still possible to use any currency, just enter the exchange rate in the task settings (with reference to EUR).
  • If bipolars are undesirable in the tweeter circuit, create a separate list without bipolars for the tweeter. When „Reduce crossover price” is checked, bipolars are preferred over other cap types (because bipolars are usually cheaper). For simular reasons, creating separate list with ferrite-less (or core-less) inductors for the tweeter should be considered.
  • With the “Reduce crossover price” feature you can easily encourage XMachina to prefer a subset of parts from list. For example, apply half (or quarter) price for the components that you have in your drawer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp.jpg (23.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg indtab.jpg (84.5 KB, 61 views)

Automatic crossover designing with XMachinaHide this!Advertise here!