Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Speaker Crossover Simulation Software
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2017, 08:36 PM   #1
88man is offline 88man  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Crossover Simulation Software

What is the best/accurate software to use to design passive speaker crossover networks, and generate frequency, phase, waterfall, and impedence plots?

1. X-Over 3 Pro
2. Sound Eas v.22
3. CLIO
4. LspCAD
5. Others?...

I'd like to be able to simulate parallel, series networks. Be able to add notch, impedence linearizing networks, zobel filters, etc.

It would be nice to see how a resistor affect the FR or SPL in a series tweeter circuit, or substitute a different woofer in a 3-way network, or how a RC tank circuit across a coil may alter FR, etc.

I've made several DIY speakers, but have either paid for simulations, or used existing designs online.

Many Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 09:02 PM   #2
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

My personal combination is OmniMic + DATS v 2.0 and XSim. First and last written by Bill Waslo. XSim is free. OmniMic + DATS available as a package deal from Parts Express:

Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 and DATS V2 Speaker Measurement Bundle

I bought X-Over Pro and getting it to work was an absolute nightmare. Once I did get X-Over Pro to work I found it even more difficult to use.

My current processs is: Use some free tool to do box simulation. Build box, put drivers in it. Simulate diffraction with The Edge. Add this to far/close mic speaker data.

Feed FRD/ZMA from OmniMic/Edge/DATS to XSim. Good to go.

XSim free crossover designer

Best,

Erik
Old 9th December 2017, 09:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Many thanks, Erik! Interesting that you build the box first, then do the simulation. Baffle geometry is so important in simplifying a crossover circuit, as diffraction can make things a nightmare, or at best turn a dream speaker into a mediocre one. "The Edge," is that a free standing software, or packaged with the Dayton product?
Old 9th December 2017, 09:46 PM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would prefer to consider diffraction before a build, it can have a greater effect than changing response.. but when it (as in all sound output) needs to be taken into account, wouldn't measuring be easier?

With the exception of a CSD plot, most simulators will do all the things you suggest. Accuracy isn't normally an issue. Capabilities and ease of use are.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I installed XSim! Looks nice! How does one input the driver TS parameters?
Old 9th December 2017, 10:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
I would prefer to consider diffraction before a build, it can have a greater effect than changing response.. but when it (as in all sound output) needs to be taken into account, wouldn't measuring be easier?

With the exception of a CSD plot, most simulators will do all the things you suggest. Accuracy isn't normally an issue. Capabilities and ease of use are.
Thanks AllenB! I'll certainly experiment to see how front baffle geometry influences FR. Looks interesting.

What I'm trying to do is to make a 200Hz, 2nd order, low pass section using the Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 driver and substitute it into Troel's SBA 10 3-way speakers. The SBA midrange is the MW15P-8 and the tweeter is the TW29BN. The SS and SBA woofers are similar in SPL @ 88dB/W.

I'm guessing if these parts will work???

Source ---> series [L (6.8mH)] --- parallel [R( 1-Ohm)] -- [C (82uF)] ---> 22W/88521T00
Old 10th December 2017, 01:45 AM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88man View Post
I installed XSim! Looks nice! How does one input the driver TS parameters?
You don't, as far as I know. You can give a driver a response and an impedance curve. FRD & ZMA files. A box simulator would use T/S parameters.
There is a long thread on XSim.
Old 10th December 2017, 01:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ah, OK. Thanks! I have to wait until I buy the DATS kit in order to load in the .frd and .zma files. Just watched the video on it. Quite a powerful program.
Old 10th December 2017, 02:51 AM   #9
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

It's good to have DATS for the coil/cap measurements too.

XSim relies on measured FR. It is not a box/diffraction simulator at all.

The Edge is a free, Windows based edge diffraction tool. I use it with a little spreadsheet magic if I really want to get complicated. For a basic 2-way, I do not. I measure everything in far field. Works much more simply.

Best,

E
Old 10th December 2017, 02:52 AM   #10
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll certainly experiment to see how front baffle geometry influences FR.
It is typically the third dimension that gives greater interest. Look for that which affects the response least, for starters.

Quote:
I have to wait until I buy the DATS kit in order to load in the .frd and .zma files.
It can be done manually, ie without such a program, if you need. Eg: you can trace from a screenshot using SPLTrace, you can output these files from a simulator, or you can write them by hand or your own custom program, they open in a text editor.

The limitation I don't like with most crossover simulators is that they are stuck in 2D.

Speaker Crossover Simulation SoftwareHide this!Advertise here!