Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Speaker Crossover Simulation Software
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2017, 03:01 AM   #11
eriksquires is online now eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Tracing includes zero box / baffle effects, and of course, may not be related to your actual drivers. Lots more prone to error and a lot more work I think.

Far better to measure the parts you got, and the box you built.

Best,

E
Old 10th December 2017, 06:08 AM   #12
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88man View Post
What I'm trying to do is to make a 200Hz, 2nd order, low pass section using the Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 driver and substitute it into Troel's SBA 10 3-way speakers.
At 200Hz in a 55 Liter ported cabinet, the 8" Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 produces about 2db lower SPL than the 10" SB29NRX75-6. Probably acceptable if the speaker is close to a wall.

LR2 circuit at 200Hz for Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 uses 12mH iron core inductor with low DCR, and 50uF capacitor. You can experiment with an LRC notch filter to flatten the 58 ohm resonance peak impedance at 30Hz. Note that the modest bass shelf port is tuned to 28Hz, and this will complicate the notch filter design.
Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 in a 55-liter volume tuned to 28Hz for a modest bass shelf alignment requires a 3" vent (round both ends) 10.5" long

=======
VituixCAD, The Loudspeaker Simulation Tool by Kimmo Saunisto
If you plan on making turn-table polar measurements, VituixCAD is set up to integrate this data into a complete simulation: driver database, enclosure, diffraction, crossover, polar plots.
There is a free download version.
Old 10th December 2017, 06:23 AM   #13
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Tracing includes zero box / baffle effects,
Wrong. I trace from measured data from other programs.
Old 10th December 2017, 07:39 AM   #14
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

How do you work out the relative acoustic centres with tracing?
Old 10th December 2017, 08:10 AM   #15
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
The limitation I don't like with most crossover simulators is that they are stuck in 2D.
In what way ?

If you're referring to showing only what happens on one axis, VituixCAD solves that problem. Kimmo Saunisto did tremendous job and it's all free.

Software
Old 10th December 2017, 08:23 AM   #16
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

OK. Speaker Workshop is open plan and and you can do various plot transformations. To me this is about finding the right plots to use before crossing which is important enough. It also allows EQ adjustments and so forth. There is also the not so well known 'xo', which will show polar plots while crossing, which is nice although perhaps not strictly necessary.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:57 AM   #17
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
VituixCAD solves that problem. Kimmo Saunisto did tremendous job and it's all free.
VituixCAD is a software that gets rare mention on this forum. I forgot all about it. Don't know why it isn't used more, it's amazingly complete.
Old 10th December 2017, 12:59 PM   #18
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

It's better than LspCAD that i use and it's free.

I'm a member on few forums that almost exclusively use Vituix.

Last edited by Zvu; 10th December 2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10th December 2017, 01:37 PM   #19
88man is offline 88man  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
At 200Hz in a 55 Liter ported cabinet, the 8" Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 produces about 2db lower SPL than the 10" SB29NRX75-6. Probably acceptable if the speaker is close to a wall.

LR2 circuit at 200Hz for Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 uses 12mH iron core inductor with low DCR, and 50uF capacitor. You can experiment with an LRC notch filter to flatten the 58 ohm resonance peak impedance at 30Hz. Note that the modest bass shelf port is tuned to 28Hz, and this will complicate the notch filter design.
Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 in a 55-liter volume tuned to 28Hz for a modest bass shelf alignment requires a 3" vent (round both ends) 10.5" long

=======
VituixCAD, The Loudspeaker Simulation Tool by Kimmo Saunisto
If you plan on making turn-table polar measurements, VituixCAD is set up to integrate this data into a complete simulation: driver database, enclosure, diffraction, crossover, polar plots.
There is a free download version.
Many Thanks, Linesource, for the calculation! I'm planning to place the 22W/8851T00 in a 40L ported cabinet to make a smaller footprint than 55L. Since I already have the 22W, mid, and Be tweeter, I thought I can make this speaker with 11in wide top and bottom cabinets.

VituixCAD looks amazing, both electronically and acoustically! It has a Diffraction Simulator, which will be very useful to calculate baffle step compensation, loss, nasties in FR. I'm going to look into this more carefully. Just wow!

Thank you Zvu, Pano, AllenB, fatmarly, Eriksquires, and Linesource for all chiming in with great ideas!
Old 10th December 2017, 04:07 PM   #20
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
VituixCAD is a software that gets rare mention on this forum. I forgot all about it. Don't know why it isn't used more, it's amazingly complete.
It's quite new software in this scene, freeware since 2016-09-11. Some users might prefer free form X/O schema and solver which are not (yet) included, but fortunately many other valuable features are already done. Author's (my) needs were met half a year ago, but project seems to continue. Nelder-Mead simplex solver is already added in the source package. One day we might see some way+axial+power+impedance optimizing mammoth... - or not

Speaker Crossover Simulation SoftwareHide this!Advertise here!