Installing LinearX LEAP 5 on 64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 10

I simply used OBJ exported by LEAP and imported it again for testing. Import is not working.

You'll have to be more specific -- what do you mean by "not working?" (Receiving error dialog, doesn't look as expected (describe), other?)

FWIW, I do know that if you don't have the import settings correct (IIRC, scale, units, and winding), it will import but it won't look right (or model accurately).

Using custom enclosures is covered in the last section of the Enclosure Application Notes manual, "App Note #2, Loudspeaker Arrays." You should start there.

Hello rdunn, like the post above, a very big thank you very much! I always had a triple boot system with XP running next to W10 and Linux. Upgraded my hardware and found out it doesn't support XP anymore. Found your solution above and it works like a charme. Greetings from a happy man!!

Big thanks to rdunn for his efforts. I pulled out my LEAP 5 software last week, tried to install it and thought I was dead in the water. I still have the MMK to LXK License on a 3.5" floppy, lol!

Followed the steps on this post and successfully installed it on both my laptop and desktop. Opened some old files and it appears to work perfect.

You're the man rdunn!!!

Hello Dunmail

Unfortunately you need a LinearX USB dongle to have LEAP 5 working.

I remember I have used Leap 4 between 1992 and 2003.
This was by far one of the best tool available for design, if not the best.
But when Leap 5 appeared in 2003 I was amazed of all the works and knowledge Chris put in this!
At this point nothing...I recall nothing approached this software.
And not sure if something honestly competing still exists.
I've seen "something" far more expensive than LEAP but frankly, not sure I would trade LEAP with "this", even for a $$$ prime.
Bad this is not available anymore for other people.
I wish someone would be able to carry on LinearX's work.
Anyway...
Chris was a real genius and above all, a very nice human being.

Luc

Last edited:
Thanks a lot rdunn for the information how to get LEAP5 up running in Win10. After reading your post I have successfully installed both enclosure and crossover in my new Win10/64bit laptop and all seems to work fine.

However, I am also using the LT360 turntable from Linearx and what happens is that Win10 will not recognize the USB driver. When I locate exactly where the drivers LT360USB.inf and LT360USB.sys are they remain invisible in Win10.

Does you or anyone else have experienced this and maybe know how to get it to work?

Thanks a lot rdunn for the information how to get LEAP5 up running in Win10. After reading your post I have successfully installed both enclosure and crossover in my new Win10/64bit laptop and all seems to work fine.

However, I am also using the LT360 turntable from Linearx and what happens is that Win10 will not recognize the USB driver. When I locate exactly where the drivers LT360USB.inf and LT360USB.sys are they remain invisible in Win10.

Does you or anyone else have experienced this and maybe know how to get it to work?

Hello Lejonkungen

I don't know if I can be pertinent about this but I read several time people running LEAP in XP mode in W10.
Maybe this can help...
Gee there was a ton of infos in the LinearX forum when it was available.
So sad it is closed.

Luc

Good to hear.

You will need to sign the driver with a test certificate. You can generate the certificate and sign the driver with tools in the Windows Driver Kit here. This should allow you to use the driver in a test environment (same as for the drivers I provided).

I've not done this since Win7 and don't recall all of the process. It is not that difficult but I don't recommend it for non-technical folk. That said, here is a site that has some instructions though I cannot vouch for the information nor the site.

If you have success, please report back in case others have the same issue.

Good luck.

Just to let you know how this is proceeding with the LT360 and Win10. Some days ago I got it running with com/USB port connection via Clio12.

Yesterday the SMPA power supply blew up when I switched it on. It happened immediately and at no load.

Anyone who nows where to get a new SMPS or the circuit description for fixing it?

With Chris Strahm's passing, there seems little hope that LEAP will be upgraded to support 64-bit platforms.

I have LEAP working on 64-bit Windows 10 -- dongle driver installed, software install errors worked around, etc. (It's far less complicated than on 64-bit Windows 7.) I've written up instructions and need a few folk to help test before I share the instructions more widely.

If you have LEAP and 64-bit Windows 10 and are willing to test the instructions, please send me a PM stating your version of Windows 10. (If you're interested but not willing to test, please post a message of encouragement.)

Thanks.

I know this is a few years after you posted this. like many of us, I myself was also caught out with the demise of LinearX. Also substantly out of pocket too!

Family and work commitments have kept me away to long from solving the LMS problem. Recently, due to illness, I have finaly found time to address this and hopefully get my LMS analyser back up and running. I have even hunted around for an old XP based Laptop, found one, and have refurbished it.

Win XP in 32 Bit is limited to 3GB ram, not ideal. I used to run it on Win 2000, much better. What I would like to do is install and run both Leap and LMS on my Toshiba Satellite I7 8GB Win 10 Pro.

I have resigned myself to the probable fact that LMS will only be able to run on XP. Fortunately the HP Win XP Laptop that I purchased, has both USB and Serial ports. Not having a Pack 4 poses a problem, but I believe a product at this site usb2isa-r - USB 2.0 to ISA card ROHS can possibly solve that problem.

If you are still keen, I would like to take part in your trial proving of Leap on Win 10.