Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 07:24 AM   #651
LeaUK is offline LeaUK
diyAudio Member

Thanks you Kimmosto

As you can probably guess, I'm struggling to locate novice instruction for ARTA (there is so much to take in) so quality of documentation is paramount and hence I have been looking at REW (and of course it's free - amazing! which is useful to get on board).

I notice REW does support semi-dual reference so that's also perfect for getting started, but allows just that little edge, timing of the OS response (due to my old lappy) could be important and snippets of information regarding this has really helped me build the BOM for this projects thank you.

I'm concerned that I'm hogging the thread a little and have gone slightly off topic so please do simply nudge me and I'll head over the the main forum, but again it's really appreciated, and being able to discuss with the actual designer is truly mindblowing.

For now the BOM is as you've recommended but maybe REW (in speaker testing mode), lots of quality documentation and much in novice format ;-)

I've learnt so so much, thanks.

Lea
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #652
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
You can use rew for this job...
I'm aware of everything you wrote but wasting of time is evident if off-axis set is 0-180 deg with angle steps of 5 degrees, and speaker is multi-way. My typical measurement sequence is only 19 off-axis measurements per driver, but sometimes 37 directions is valuable.

I use CLIO which has root filename + automatic numbering and support for motorized turning table. ARTA has also off-axis measurement sequence with pause timer which is very handy with manual turning table.

So, I will never use REW or recommend to others as long as automatic naming with root filename + numbering is missing - despite of $0 price tag.

One thing not yet mentioned is 'Conversion IR to FR' in VituixCAD. It supports CLIO mls and ARTA pir files but not REW mdat. That might be possible to add, but will not happen without public binary file spec.
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #653
3ll3d00d is offline 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It seems a trivial time cost to me but each to their own. Anyway point is that one can use rew to produce data for vituixcad and achieve good results so if unwilling or unable to spend money on arta then it is a good way to go.
Old Today, 12:18 PM   #654
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

^OK, but someone else might be sad or angry if new off-axis measurement sequence (3x37) is needed due to wrong mic location or bad setting in measurement program or amplifier etc. Freeware or crack makes software products golden
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #655
3ll3d00d is offline 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Use at your own risk

On that note, there is one key difference IME between REW and ARTA and that is the way the window is specified relative to the peak vs the arta approach of picking some absolute sample positions to apply to all measurements. If the position of the peak never moves then this is a non issue but if it does, and I think some measurement setups will be prone to this, then it is something to bear in mind (i.e. may need manual adjustment).

The other difference is that REW is prone to producing some rather large txt files which can things a bit slow to load/manipulate.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!