Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2018, 05:48 PM   #621
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotone View Post
I would like to import measured FRs not just in horizontal and vertical planes, but at least at 45 degrees as well. Is there any possibility to automatically ascribe the values for both when importing?
Simulation can read from FRD files and use only two planes at a time. Names of those planes are "hor" and "ver" in graphs, though they can be actually/geometrically anything as long as angle value is integer.
BUT simulated power & DI responses are not necessarily accurate if combination of selected two planes does not represent power & DI responses of the speaker.

Basic guideline is that you should simulate typical speakers with actual hor and ver planes to get valid power and DI result, but you can use Directivity chart to visualize any other/diagonal plane and fine tune design by that information.
Old 10th October 2018, 08:00 PM   #622
Slaughthammer is offline Slaughthammer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
I studied and tested EqualizerAPO a bit. It is able import frequency response of filter to graphic equalizer with variable band option. No problem to export driver's response from VituixCAD and import to EquAPO, though response file has close to 600 frequency points. Exact match is available if needed.
Just tested this for my setup, works like a charm!
Old 11th October 2018, 12:08 PM   #623
geotone is online now geotone  Austria
diyAudio Member

Ah, I understand, that gives me a direction to work in. Thank you Kimmo for the quick answer!
Old 11th October 2018, 12:09 PM   #624
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughthammer View Post
I attached a zip-file with the required data for EqualizerAPO running at 44.1 kHz.
Sorry that I forgot to mention that I can investigate features of dsp application if filter designer program runs on Windows without license and actual/physical dsp gear is not needed and filter designer program shows response accurately.
List of four items to test is for dsp devices which are impossible to configure and test without purchasing device.

As mentioned, most of equalization features in EqAPO are possible to show in VituixCAD. Biggest problem is 2nd order shelving filter with adjustable slope in dB/oct. VituixCAD supports Q-factor for 2nd order shelf. Some conversion table and application instructions are needed to swap between those two. Another challenge is selectable frequency notation of shelving LP/HP: corner or center. VituixCAD supports both, but final choice must be agreed and known by user if I add EqualizerAPO to 'DSP system' list in VituixCAD.
Bessel is phase normalized in EqAPO because only single biquads are available (Q=0.577 with 2nd order Bessel).
Q-factor notation of peak/notch filter is "Not analog RLC" in EqAPO i.e. BW is at peak_dB/2 - just like in miniDSP. This is piece of cake because notation is fixed in EqAPO.

---

We have at least one transfer option left and not discussed. You can export filter gain response of selected driver from VituixCAD Impulse response window as 16-bit PCM mono or 32-bit IEEE mono .wav. Then import IR wav file to EqAPO by adding Advanced filter -> Convolution. Parameters in VituixCAD for example: sample=44100, FFT=32768, taps=16384, IR win=Rectangular or Hanning, 'Center IR' not checked if filter is IIR. Convolver enables also phase linearisation with FIR. This might produce some hassle close to Nyquist frequency. I'll probably cut IR few samples shorter to prevent extra curves.

Last edited by kimmosto; 11th October 2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:13 PM   #625
diyAudio Member

Blocks would be one possibility to help life of Hypex, EqAPO etc. users who have to play with 2nd order LP/HP sections.
For example block for 8th order low pass with Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley and Bessel -3dB options:
Click the image to open in full size.

Block calculates corner frequencies and Q-factor for each section depending on LP frequency and selected option. User can fine tune all parameters individually, but block takes control if Tune block window is re-opened.

This is just a test. This kind of blocks are not yet available in library.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:45 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Biggest problem is 2nd order shelving filter with adjustable slope in dB/oct. VituixCAD supports Q-factor for 2nd order shelf. Some conversion table and application instructions are needed to swap between those two.
The relationship between shelf slope and Q is:
1/Q = sqrt((A + 1/A)*(1/S - 1) + 2)

Audio-EQ-Cookbook.txt
Old 12th October 2018, 10:58 AM   #627
diyAudio Member

Rev. 2.0.5.3 (2018-10-12)

* Added 'Generic' option to DSP system combo box in Options window. BW of peak/notch filter is between midpoint gain (dB/2) frequencies. Bessel LP/HP is phase-normalized, -3dB frequency depends on order. Frequency parameter of Shelving LP/HP filter is Corner, not midpoint gain (dB/2). Setting is compatible with e.g. EqualizerAPO with some restrictions.
* Added 'Sample rate' combo box to Options window for 'Generic' DSP system.
* Improved active filter calculation and graphs above Nyquist frequency.
Old 13th October 2018, 12:48 AM   #628
aczern is offline aczern
diyAudio Member

Quote:
^Could you tell me where you don't see a change?
I am talking about comparison before and after applying the filter. In more complex crossovers, it is useful to bypass individual filters. I often use this function in LspCAD.
Old 13th October 2018, 04:29 AM   #629
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczern View Post
I am talking about comparison before and after applying the filter. In more complex crossovers, it is useful to bypass individual filters. I often use this function in LspCAD.
Sure this feature exists but it's not "by-pass" because it's too limited function.
Passive and active XO components can be electrically Open or Shorted with context menu - right click on component. This applies also to several components at once if group is selected.
Drivers can be electrically Open or Shorted, or just acoustically Muted with existing load in the circuit.
These features have been in version 2.0 since the beginning.

If this is what you meant, I suggest you read user manual very carefully and try what you find in context menu of each component and graph. Otherwise you could miss whole bunch of essential features.

OT nagging: Generally it is a bit frustrating that someone writes very long e-mails for asking "can I do this and that with VituixCAD?" or complaining missing features if they have been available and documented for months...years. Why should I repeat anything if information is already available.

Last edited by kimmosto; 13th October 2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:50 PM   #630
aczern is offline aczern
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your answer. I'm sorry that I asked before I read the manual.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!