Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2021, 05:41 PM   #3101
sheeple is offline sheeple
diyAudio Member

Something else: I want to be able to compare the directivity graph style "Surface chart" to the ones that JA from stereophile does with MLSSA in his reviews. Just to compare projected performance in this style of representation.
Would you know how this can be done? JA uses 25 dB SPL of vertical and +-90 degree of lateral information and nomalizes for on-axis. In VCD I can set the scale to 25 dB and normalize, but it looks very different to MLSSAs charts because the vertical scale is much more extended. any solution or workaround?
Old 29th May 2021, 04:15 PM   #3102
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

^The latest build (2.0.72.2) can do this though I don't see much sense to use Stereophile's directivity measurements as a reference.
P.S. VituixCAD discussion on HTguide.
Attached Images
File Type: png VCAD_mlssa_cavalier.png (10.4 KB, 334 views)
Old 30th May 2021, 01:39 AM   #3103
daspeakerman is offline daspeakerman
diyAudio Member

Default Questions about driver database from Vituixcad

Hello Kimmo
A few questions about the great driver database that comes with Vituix:
1. Where did this data come from? How accurate is it and does it get updated somehow? I’m curious how you were able to create such a large list!

2. I’m interested to add more parameters to my local database .txt file for my own use (not needed by the program), for example, diameter and depth dimensions of the driver, maybe some coefficients from Klippel, Cost, etc. is it possible to allow users to add Unlimited extra columns into the file without corrupting the functions of Vituixcad?

Thanks!
Old 30th May 2021, 07:26 PM   #3104
sheeple is offline sheeple
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
^The latest build (2.0.72.2) can do this though I don't see much sense to use Stereophile's directivity measurements as a reference.
P.S. VituixCAD discussion on HTguide.
Hello Kimmo,
1) Stereophile's graphs provide a huge set of comparable directivity performance for many different speakers, making it easier to compare one's own design, given the representations are comparable. I find it easier if I see the same representation and shortcut the mental translation step.
2) I find these MLSSA charts quite intuitive, regardless of the fact if I would agree on the usability of the chosen limits. They are easier to follow than line charts or sonograms and to identify weaknesses, because the deviation is shown in third dimension. It would even be better if further scaling/a scale/a grid was visualy available, but that is too much to ask for.
3) Thanks for the invitation to HTguide, I will certainly follow soon to discuss your very good software.
Thanks for everything.
Old 30th May 2021, 08:26 PM   #3105
diyAudio Member

^I will reply to your message tomorrow on HTguide.
Old 31st May 2021, 06:35 PM   #3106
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Stereophile/JA sometimes shows only +/- 45deg horizontally

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st May 2021, 09:04 PM   #3107
JohnPM is offline JohnPM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeple View Post
Yes, always. Is there a chance to export measurements from REW without the calibration being applied to it, if it was active during measurements?
REW IR exports do not include any cal file effects. Cal files can be removed after measurement by using the Change Cal... button on the measurement panel.
Old 2nd June 2021, 08:41 AM   #3108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspeakerman View Post
1. Where did this data come from? How accurate is it and does it get updated somehow?
Many sources. Imported from LspCAD 5.25, AJHorn and manufactures' datasheets with pdf reader, entered manually by me and 1-2 others, few drivers copy-pasted from loudspeakerdatabase.com.

Simulation with T/S-model is simplification. Accuracy depends on many things. Purpose is to help and speed up product selection and calculation of enclosure volume and dimensions of possible vent(s). Not possible to get exact match with reality, and fortunately that's not required because significance of radiator simulation is very low in design process.

I could update online data, but why would I do everything alone. Users have had very close to zero interest to send data for online database. Everyone plays own game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspeakerman View Post
2. I’m interested to add more parameters to my local database .txt file for my own use (not needed by the program), for example, diameter and depth dimensions of the driver, maybe some coefficients from Klippel, Cost, etc. is it possible to allow users to add Unlimited extra columns into the file without corrupting the functions of Vituixcad?
Not surprised. You want that I work few weeks and add new features to program that also you could maintain own data and play own game.
I could add some fixed fields. Custom fields probably require changing file format or using some actual database or at least limiting clipboard format to xml or json to maintain possibility to copy paste from other driver databases.

Sorry about frustration. I'm also trying to stay on HTguide only so write there get answers faster.
Old 14th June 2021, 11:30 AM   #3109
jwest is offline jwest  United States
diyAudio Member

Can someone give me a rundown on what the correct and accepted procedure when simulating diffraction and baffle step for nearfield measurements?

I mean, I take nearfield of the woofer and port, then calculate diffraction for each of them before summing them , or do I sum first after adjusting port gain vs cone area, and then only apply diffraction based on the woofer ? Also in the diffraction tool, if i take my far field measurements with the mic on tweeter axis for all drivers, and use time lock to avoid dealing with offsets and so forth, should the mic position in the diffraction tool be aswell be positioned on the assumed tweeter axis, or should it be centered on the woofer regardless of the axis I take farfield measurements on?
Old 14th June 2021, 02:07 PM   #3110
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't bother measuring the port for purpose of crossover design, it doesn't affect crossover operation at >1kHz, but if you want to include it the process would be to merge it with the nearfield driver measurement, then apply diffraction, then splice with far field measurement.

Mic position for diffraction simulation should be the location of your mic when you took the far field measurement. This should be obvious, as the intent is to fill in missing data in the gated far field measurement.

If you want to design using full 360 degrees spinorama of response, drivers should be measured on their own axis, not the tweeter. In fact with any 2 channel measurement even if you are using single axis data I would still measure at the driver's axis, and include the driver seperation on the baffle in the crossover design.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!