Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2021, 03:42 PM   #2801
Sharkythefrog is offline Sharkythefrog  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
If you really decide to do such a design, leave port band e.g. ~3 dB lower to get flat power below 150 Hz, and locate speaker so that balance at listening area is okay. Port signal will be separate and location/material dependent and generate resonances which are not features of healthy concept.
In the enclosed picture alternative A is quite common both for TL and bass reflex speakers. Itīs also what I have read and "learned" over the years (and todays reading). But as I understand it you would say alternative B is a better option for control, less placement dependency etc. Or do I misunderstand you?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture1.png (412.3 KB, 281 views)
Old 28th February 2021, 06:02 AM   #2802
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

A is more common because it usually looks better and simpler, and rear port produces deeper sound stage and less direct mid-range noise/resonances.
B is not necessarily any better due to possible noise at mid-range though total signal is more integrated.
My concern was rear port close to floor.
Old 28th February 2021, 07:09 AM   #2803
Sharkythefrog is offline Sharkythefrog  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thank you Kimmi,
So once again as almost always itīs a trade off.

I guess, at least from a theorethically perspective, I, as many DIYs and manufacturers seem to, prefer the A version. For itīs possibly less problematic mid doe to less "leaking and interacting mid signals" from the port. There are so many discussions on the internet, with various "thinking" but less actual theory that doesnīt really help if one like to understand.

This mean that the most important thing now is to integrate the measures from the port position in A in a correct way into the XO design.
Old 1st March 2021, 03:17 PM   #2804
diyAudio Member

Anything else to say or ask before I fade out? What each of you is willing to do continuously to get updates and technical support also in diyaudio?

Limited single axis XO simulators, ancient Excel tools, obsolete measurement software, mics unable to capture timing, questionable sticky treads etc. have filled my cup, and political correctness or disinterest has muted critical discussion. Without backup this seems like one-man war which is really pointless with freeware.
Old 1st March 2021, 05:18 PM   #2805
bartosz37 is offline bartosz37  Poland
diyAudio Member

I would like to thank you for your support and VituxCAD. I learned a lot reading this thread. Not only this software makes designing crossover easier but also visualistation of data tweaking components makes the learning proces faster.
Your tips are Gold.
Thank you VituixCAD
Old 1st March 2021, 05:42 PM   #2806
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Do not fade out! The nay sayers and simplists, DDR-ists, Polka dot lovers etc. have already way too much ground under their feet!
Old 1st March 2021, 06:06 PM   #2807
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I'm still here and very much appreciate what you have given us. In fairness, you should actually be charging for such excellent software and incredible support and continual development.
Old 1st March 2021, 06:13 PM   #2808
DaveFred is offline DaveFred  Canada
diyAudio Member

VituixCAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
Anything else to say or ask before I fade out?
Is there another forum (does not have to be English) where there is "better" conversation?

I do read a couple of German forums as they seem to be more in following with "modern" design methods compatible with your software.

Thank you,

David.
Old 1st March 2021, 08:33 PM   #2809
Draki is offline Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

The best and most valuable experience in my audio ventures, by far. And appreciated accordingly.
Your dedication is exemplary. On the other hand, I understand your frustration, if that helps...
Old 1st March 2021, 08:42 PM   #2810
diyAudio Member

^^Germans are few years ahead because they started with version 0.1 in February 2015. 1/3 of commercial licenses went to Germany in 2015-2016. First license to France in November 2015, U.S.A in March 2016, England in May 2016. Soon after that program was changed to freeware.
At the moment majority of commercial customers are in the U.S.A. Others in England, Germany, Switzerland, Japan.
VituixCAD probably rules DIY scene in Finland almost without exceptions. Boxsim has popularity in Germany due to origin/language and traditions.

Some of you have experience and confidence that e-mail support will work in the future no matter what happens in diyaudio. That's probably true though I don't love copy-pasting from user manual, tooltip, changelog or measurement instructions to e-mail.

One option is to move to VituixCAD v2 @HTG. HTG is usually quite silent and possibly fertile soil for discussion without spam of single axis XO simulators, FRD tools, Edge/XDir, 'designing crossovers without measurements' etc. Different opinions should be allowed of course, but obvious narrow-mindedness should have limits set by community - or I won't join that community.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!