Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM   #2641
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
Pressing Shift key while dragging inverts wire Stretch mode
Alt key returned because Shift is 'add to multi-selection' before dragging is started which might confuse.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM   #2642
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
^Both results are acceptable imo but of course you can continue clicking to get more accurate result. Editing of extended parameters is enabled automatically if Error is above high limit and text box is red.
Acceptable perhaps. Like I said, clicking the solve button again and again does not get to the result I can achieve above with some manual component value adjustment to nudge it in the right direction. Anyway, maybe I am over thinking, both results above create a rather similar cabinet model so seeking perfection here may just be wasting time.
Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #2643
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcibeL View Post
both results above create a rather similar cabinet model so seeking perfection here may just be wasting time.
Exactly. Fancy impedance models can give very close to actual impedance curve, but that is not needed because final impedance curve for crossover simulation is measured anyway in final cabinet. This kind of features are for preliminary XO studies before prototype or final cabinet is not manufactured and measured. My design policy is that preliminary XO studies with pure simulation data are useless.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #2644
Sharkythefrog is offline Sharkythefrog  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is probably total off-topic, but speaker concept is not the key to good sound reproduction. Studying and building different designs, concepts, radiators, amount and type of directivity could be interesting hobby, but final solution comes with room acoustics. Shortening early delay time etc. until acoustic resolution reaches personal preference. No speaker concept is able to beat that. High quality components, construction and radiators without excessive directivity at HF to avoid spitting of artificial details.
Agree!!!
But, then again.
Creating a speaker design can include the task trying to minimize some of the effects from the room, and the speaker position. Using MathCAD and Hornresp I have an optimized design with the looks of the below picture. None of the two program results have design features for compensation of room and position. And still the design has no crossover.

So along that way of the quote. The below design has a tilted (only 2 degrees vertical listening angle) , bent baffle so the effects from the baffle are there. Also it has the port pointing to the wall about half a meter off the floor which will have a large impact depending on the position of the speaker.

So for me, with almost 50 years of experience building "others" designs but just recently stepping into the world of own designs, it would be interesting to know YOUR brightest thoughts of how to compensate for those two things:
1) The tilted and bent baffle.
2) The MLTL port pointing against the wall a half meeter from the floor.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMLTTL_2021_1.jpg (69.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Sharkythefrog; Yesterday at 08:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #2645
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

VituixCAD
Quote:
long planar/ribbon and horn requires very high quality driver to avoid spitting HF resonances to your face.
I do not understand this.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #2646
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

i do not understand the extended z model in the calc t/s parameter feature:

if i have two curves loaded: free air with no mass + free air with mass then the extended z model error box lights up red, but if i remove the added mass curve then i get a nice fit. but as soon i load the added mass curve then the error box turns red again, i guess i need both impedance curves to get accurate t/s calculations?

it would be nice if both 'basic z model' and the 'ext z model' where saved and the user later could easily select between basic / ext / none z model when doing box work.

also, it would be nice if it where possible to import a box impedance measurment to the simulated box impedance, in that way it would be easy to adjust box parameters to match the measured impedance curve for further box tweaking
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #2647
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
if i have two curves loaded: free air with no mass + free air with mass then the extended z model error box lights up red, but if i remove the added mass curve then i get a nice fit. but as soon i load the added mass curve then the error box turns red again, i guess i need both impedance curves to get accurate t/s calculations?
Calculation of extended Z model parameters alone needs free air response. Second response should not be loaded. Program does not change standard T/S, and Error text box shows error within 8 x fs ... 20 kHz where extended parameters are effective.

If you are calculating standard T/S parameters while extended Z model parameters are kinda side product, you should load two or three impedance responses. You also need to enter Sd and Re for added mass or sealed in addition to correct mass(es)/volume. Error text box shows error within 0.8 x fs ... 20 kHz so text box will be red very easily if you are not really calculating all T/S with required and correct parameters from user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
would be easy to adjust box parameters to match the measured impedance curve for further box tweaking
As mentioned few messages ago, accurate impedance response could be valuable while preliminary (inaccurate) crossover simulation. Not for box tweaking so you don't need any fancy Z parameters to design and make a box.
  Reply to this post

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!