Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2019, 06:21 PM   #1681
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Great update.
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:48 AM   #1682
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The Spin-O-Rama VCAD feature is the best thing that has happened to me in my study's the last two years.
Its a lot to take in and learn and I am more than willing to do that, I just want to say thank you for opening up my eye's to a new segment of measurements.
Its going to make my life simpler once I have dialed in the techniques involved.
Old 4th December 2019, 01:39 PM   #1683
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Rev. 2.0.33.2 (2019-12-04)

Convert IR to FR
* Added Z/U button to set default values for impedance, voltage and acceleration exports. Replaces automatic setting added to rev. 2.0.32.0 (2019-11-28). Manual operation is more convenient if 'Microphone Used On' was accidentally unchecked while acoustical measurements with ARTA.
Old 4th December 2019, 07:09 PM   #1684
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

I've finally decided to try out VCAD. I've used other design programs, but the feature list for VCAD keeps growing. I read the "VCAD Measurement Preparations for REW" and I really only have one question:

The .pdf states "Rotation center is typically on surface of front baffle for the tweeter". My manual table is somewhat small so usually I center the speaker on the table. This results with the center of rotation being at the center of the speaker, not at the surface of the front baffle.

What is the recommended solution? I can think of a couple (e.g. bigger table), but just want to make I sure I'm understanding rotation correctly.

Thanks....
Old 4th December 2019, 07:56 PM   #1685
ergo is online now ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

If you rotate around speaker center then the distance from the speaker dome/cone to the microphone will not remain constant and that will be a problem the bigger this offset is. I solved this also by building a bigger turntable (got pretty big diameter lazy susan bearings from Alibaba with a reasonable price).
Old 4th December 2019, 07:57 PM   #1686
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

^^Bigger table works ... until you have much bigger speaker or need to measure vertical plane of rectangular ribbon/planar without possibility to just rotate the driver. Might need some temporary baffle for measurements only.

Rotating top plate does not have to be circular and axis hole not in the center. Square 80x80cm should be quite adequate. Axis hole e.g. 20cm from the edge to allow tilted or stepped front baffle or spikes in front of speaker etc.
Base plate could be circular, diameter close to 100cm and axis hole in the center.

Some kind of thin rod with four legs for distance measurement could be nice because that is the most difficult phase due to accuracy requirement. With measurement tape it's easiest to rotate table +90 deg, align mic with front baffle and adjust distance from mic to the center of DUT to 1000 mm. Then rotate to -90 and verify alignment and distance 1000 mm i.e. system rotates vertically without swinging.

Last edited by kimmosto; 4th December 2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #1687
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into modifying my table.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!