Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
VituixCAD Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2019, 08:43 PM   #1591
nightuser is offline nightuser  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Hello, Kimmosto! I am newbie with software. I was learning how to use your software (diffraction tool).
Here is your's video tutorial name: "Creating off-axis responses with VituixCAD Diffraction tool"
When I thried the steps you has made, my diffraction graphs were not the same as yours. Input parameters still the same. I've tried "Edge" software, and it gives similar results, as shown in video tutorial. I am up to date (2.0.30.0 (2019-11-08))
Thanks! Sorry for terrible English, hope you understand me!
Old 15th November 2019, 05:48 AM   #1592
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

^I would say that the latest VituixCAD and Edge give the same result except baffle loss at LF which has always been low with VCAD. Difference was bigger when that video was recorded.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th November 2019, 07:27 AM   #1593
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I will check your results.
Enclosure response curves from that video wes different as well. It was difference in phasy and cone displacement.
I did not made challenge with other software, as i was disappointed too much.
I want to reverse engineering commercial project. Those 2-way speakers uses Satori MW16P-8 and TW29R, but i want to use TW29RN-8. I have crossover schematics, driver layout and cabinet plans. What steps i should do to recalculate crossover values?
Actual measurements are not available, no prototype available too.

Last edited by nightuser; 15th November 2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 15th November 2019, 10:51 AM   #1594
diyAudio Member

^Enclosure tool gives exactly the same results. Velocity, port diameter/area and Q-factors are not visible on Diffraction tool lesson so comparing needs some assumptions and manual iteration. These are compatible settings in Enclosure tab and scales set on Options window. Inductance effect in SPL is disabled.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not much comments to your project. I have radically different design philosophy so this causes mental block to me, though I probably know how driver change should be done Maybe someone else could give hints how to survive without measurements.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:09 AM   #1595
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Lol. If the original and replacement driver can be compared, the differences can be plotted and the transfer function can be altered. Maybe it is not perfect but it can be close. VituixCad can do this work with the calculator, and the crossover simulator.

@nightuser, if you want you can create a new thread and PM us the link.
Old 15th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #1596
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is piece of cake assuming that original design is worthy. Just tracing of spl and impedance curves of both Ts, electrical TF of original is simulated and corrected with ratio of spl curves. That's new target TF optimized with impedance curve of replacement T. Click Optimize button and wait.
But I do not support cloning of commercial products so this case is for someone else.
Old 15th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #1597
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all! This evening I'll learn how to use VituixCAD with same inputs. Reinstall program first. And i will try to get the same results. If not, i will inform you.

@AllenB
I've found the project i am interested in. That is the Kalasan project, discussed here. Crossover is seems to be free, but i do not learned much about cabinet and measured data. And as i understand, that thread is still active! I want to collect some information/knowledge first and than ask developer about replacements. Hope he will help me with initial approach. If so, and if nobody is against it, i will post a link here, as i think it is good idea to learn how to repair or refresh some old projects with upgraded/downgraded drivers (or if driver spec was slightly changed by manufacturer) without changing too much in initial crossover components. But i have no idea about overall performance before such replacements.

For now there is YouTube channel Kirby meets audio. He isthe only who uses VituixCAD and have tutorial, but what he is doing in design process seems to be wrong. He doesn't use driver offset when making crossover, so i've stoped watching as it is wasting a time. Please check it. But i can be wrong in my judgement. Please correct me, if so.

May be Kimmo should find someone from US/UK with good voice and speech to make real good tutorials.
Old 15th November 2019, 03:28 PM   #1598
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightuser View Post
For now there is YouTube channel Kirby meets audio. He isthe only who uses VituixCAD and have tutorial, but what he is doing in design process seems to be wrong. He doesn't use driver offset when making crossover, so i've stoped watching as it is wasting a time.
I've watched Kirby's video for few seconds more than half a year ago. It was for version 1.1 so obsolete today. Procedure was far from my design policy and instructions written for measurements itself, data processing with tools and crossover simulation. Measurement instructions and user manual were already available that time, but not visible in that video.
SPL and impedance tracing or downloading from Dayton could be quite common somewhere, but it's not at the target and purpose of VituixCAD package.

I guess majority of local VCAD users (in Finland) can handle recommended measurement and design method, and have suitable gear and software for measurements. Situation could be as good in Germany and other Western Europe, but can't be sure because not so much communication and co-operation with users. The most active e-mail friends know exactly what to do and why.
Old 15th November 2019, 07:18 PM   #1599
diyAudio Member

Your software is too complex for beginner (me), and every time i need to check what if i do correct or incorrect. Can you suggest me how to learn your software and speaker building basics? Now i want to build something myself. I was searching the Web for open source 2 way project. Some projects like Seas Bifrost has measured data files for both drivers in box (single phase and SPL for both drivers without crossover). What i can learn from this data? Can I extract information about mic location (distance, width and height), predict off-axis response and listening distance (listening window)? I've made simulation of crossover in free copy of LspCAD, and got same graphs as documented. But this doesn't tell nothing about off-axis response. How can i discover this product with your software? If i do this, what should I learn and can you assist me?
I am not against measurements, but simulation prior to prototyping is the best practice, i think.

Last edited by nightuser; 15th November 2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 15th November 2019, 08:50 PM   #1600
diyAudio Member

Thanks for pictires from tutorial videos! Now i have same results. I do not know what was my error, as i did not save any project yesterday. But thanks a lot!
What type of microphone you can suggest for beginner?

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!