VituixCAD

I know that is you program, but is not good decision. Should be available, but maybe not on driver tab.

Sorry I use umik1 in car. Measurement for real phase in car is nor possible. I have semi dual equipment too.

You can of course, still create your own min phase files using the calculator tool, removal of min phase in the design tools is to deter single channel measurement use and the data errors and confusion of delays and phase interaction that results from that process. It simply removed the single channel method as a supported design method.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello Kimmo,

I about tired of this project and just want to put it to bed so I can move onto the next learning project, how does this version look?

April 1hold r6   v3 XO-schema-6.jpg April 1hold r6   v3 Six-pack.jpg

Thank you,

David.

Minimum phase extraction is also available in Merger (for far field responses only) though lime MP trace is not visible if near field response(s) are not loaded. Measurement programs usually has it too so Calculator is not the only hope though it's the most full featured with optional manual tails and possibility to maintain GD of original response at given frequency.
So the biggest loss is removed Time align function in Auxiliary calculator. Source code is in safe place so feature can be easily restored if any paying customer or significant donor really needs it.

how does this version look?

Have you reprocessed measurement data or what has happened? 2.5+ mH coil looks way too big. Should be 1.5 - 1.8 mH with measurement data I have. One more thing is that 1st order electrical HP for tweeter does not offer help for combination of power response and phase match. Problem is that phase difference above XO frequency increases power above XO maintaining minor S-curve in ER, in-room and power.

April Fool's day is over so mp checkbox and time align restored as they were. Just remember that mp checkbox in Drivers tab should not be used due to automatic slope detection and performance drop while loading frequency responses (which may happen quite often). Calculator is primary tool for creating derived phase response.

April Fool's day is over so mp checkbox and time align restored as they were. Just remember that mp checkbox in Drivers tab should not be used due to automatic slope detection and performance drop while loading frequency responses (which may happen quite often). Calculator is primary tool for creating derived phase response.

Ha!

Just a comment on the toxicity against USB mics and using derived MP extraction here.

While not perfect, it's considered good enough by plenty of designers in the community. My own designs have also always matched up to the sims using this method.

I much appreciate the software, but not so much the somewhat condescending attitude towards less knowledgable people. Forums exists for sharing of knowledge and having open discussions.

Last edited:
I did redo the data when I switched to the 27TFFC tweeter.
(yes it is 20g main woofer inductor).

Ok. Your connection produces really good balance at high mid...low treble.
Here is my tuning with 2.2 mH/1.4 mm wire. Much "heavier" than 20g makes a bit more balanced low mid and less bump to bass.

Attachments

• DaveFred-2 Six-pack.png
    DaveFred-2 Six-pack.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 251
  • DaveFred-2 XO-schema-3.png
    DaveFred-2 XO-schema-3.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 260
While not perfect, it's considered good enough by plenty of designers in the community.

Have those designers simulated also to quasi full space by monitoring CTA2034 traces? No.

My own designs have also always matched up to the sims using this method.

Are your designs simulated also to quasi full space by monitoring CTA2034 traces? No.

So do not compare apples and oranges - simulations with different requirements for response data.

Forums exists for sharing of knowledge and having open discussions.

Voice (or is it just noise) of majority - thousands of USB mic owners worldwide and known gurus designing with axial response only override easily single bloke born in the middle of nowhere. It's not easy to stay non-toxic after writing the same instructions and reasoning over and over again if readers are confident that they don't need to change anything.

This topic has been warm...hot since the 1st version of VCAD (for 7 years) though almost all XO simulators work with measured phase by default. For example LspCAD uses the same coordinate system requiring measured phase (and program does not include mp extraction), but presumably no one has spoken on behalf of IJ.

"Good enough" is subjective. While single axis insight may be "good enough" for you, someone else may call it completely inadequate. Many say Xsim is "good enough", while others may say it's missing a lot of important features. With DIY you have complete control over your decisions, and you can define what is "good enough" for your use, but don't expect everyone to agree.

It doesn't take much to build a 2 channel system, so why settle for good enough, strive for as good as it can be. Especially with new users, there is a lot of support / hand holding being provided for their decision of a USB mic, so you must understand the struggle to constantly support a process that isn't the recommended design process to begin with.

It's not about "good enough", but a certain sense of consistency that they're missing.
Lack of consistency is number one problem of most issues I troubleshoot for other people.
Totally unaware of all kinds of systems errors that can appear or creep in.

People always seem to want a "quick" and "fast" measurement.
Meanwhile totally losing control what is going on, saying that they just did a quick measurement, so nothing precise, yet forming often quite absolute statements and opinions about it.
I never get it, do these people constantly need to catch an airplane or so?
It takes me like 10-15 minutes to set everything up, max.

Learn how to make good, consistent and accurate measurements, like above a 2-channel system is nothing out of the ordinary anymore these days.
It's not difficult and barely more expensive than the "quick and dirty solutions".

That being said, I don't see a good reason why to completely skip derived phase as a last resort option?
Maybe it's not 100% accurate, but I rather have that, than not being able to do anything with the data anymore at all!
In these rare cases that the original phase information is corrupted or missing.

Last edited:
USB mic and MP with Z offset calculation gets you 90% there.

It could be 100% at once with good acoustical design and some luck. But you probably don't know before comprehensive measurements with crossover - which usually requires work and money as passive and much more free space than controlled driver measurements only.

Basic measurement system with USB mic does not contain patch cable for loop back such as in normal dual channel setup, but otherwise it's the same. No price difference either so what's the point? Is stubborn indifference more acceptable and advantageous for community than confessing a mistake due to lack of knowledge and changing mind and gear? Sometimes it looks so.

Let's swap roles for a day. Use one workday for writing e-mails and try to explain and convince why your measurement system is adequate and good enough for me. I will play ignorant about measurement systems and mathematics writing other basic questions also to discussion forum. Then repeat the same with many others within ~five years. Show that you stay perfectly non-toxic and still care and continue work with good attitude.