Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2019, 04:45 PM   #1491
lolilol1975 is offline lolilol1975
diyAudio Member

No there is no direct shortcut under the components, as the recalculation is automatically redone (correctly) after a second mouse click on another component. Also, when I remove a component, the graphs show a previous state, which is not calculated, or wrongly. A second click on another component and the graphs are updated correctly.
Old 19th September 2019, 06:16 PM   #1492
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

That's not VituixCAD But seriously, I cannot repeat anything here.
Old 19th September 2019, 06:45 PM   #1493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
That's not VituixCAD But seriously, I cannot repeat anything here.
I don't get it. Why would it recompute correctly only after a mouse click instead of after doing ctrl+S ?

Anyway, I have another question. If all the data I have of a speaker are the Thiele/Small parameters, I understand that the Enclosure tool can compute a theoretical frequency response SPL.txt and impedance response impedance.txt for that speaker with the enclosure I designed for it. Then I can export and import the generated files in the main simulator where I've drawn a crossover circuit.
My question is, when I generate these files in the Enclosure tool, must I check the "crossover of driver" checkbox or leave it alone ? I believe I shouldn't check it because then the exported data takes into account the existing crossover, which we don't want when importing the txt files in the main tool. Am I right ?
Old 19th September 2019, 07:30 PM   #1494
diyAudio Member

^Have you tried shorting via context menu (right click)? That is native function in the program. Ctrl+S is more like remote control which uses functions of context menu.

'Crossover of driver' is for those who need to check excursion and power consumption of sub-woofer with some bass shelf filter such as Linkwitz Transform. That should be unchecked for standard purposes such as simulating woofer's response in some cabinet.
P.S. Exporting response from Enclosure tool to XO simulation is not recommended. Short version of correct procedure is 'Checklist for designing a loudspeaker' starting on page 4 in user manual.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:29 PM   #1495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
^Have you tried shorting via context menu (right click)? That is native function in the program. Ctrl+S is more like remote control which uses functions of context menu.

'Crossover of driver' is for those who need to check excursion and power consumption of sub-woofer with some bass shelf filter such as Linkwitz Transform. That should be unchecked for standard purposes such as simulating woofer's response in some cabinet.
P.S. Exporting response from Enclosure tool to XO simulation is not recommended. Short version of correct procedure is 'Checklist for designing a loudspeaker' starting on page 4 in user manual.
Yes I understand that, but I'm not designing a loudspeaker. I have a 25 year old pair of KEF 105/3, and I want to recap the Xover, because I believe the original electrolytic caps are cooked. However the Xover schematics is over complicated (the 105/3 is a 4 way speaker) and the original cap values were chosen by KEF with a 1% tolerance. I don't understand these companies go to such trouble to end up putting electrolytics in the Xover of their high end speakers.

Anyway, what I want to do is simulate the effect of a change of 5% in capacitor values and see which caps must be as close to the originals and which ones should be fine with a 5% change of value. But right now, I am a bit at a loss, because I reproduced the schema in Vituix, and the result doesn't resemble much like anything real.
Old 20th September 2019, 04:38 AM   #1496
diyAudio Member

^Simulating radiators' impedance and possibly acoustical response too is the worst option to choose imo.

Caps with 5% tolerance are probably close to 1% in practice so you can buy a set and verify C by measuring. If some individual is "too" bad, buy another. In addition, effect of capacitor type could have audible effect. Accuracy of C value is not necessarily the most significant factor with caps.

Second option is to measure impedance responses of drivers in place. Then simulate XO and effect of tolerance by monitoring transfer function of crossover at terminals of each driver from Filter graph. No need to load acoustical responses for drivers.

Real DIY approach would be redesigning whole XO by measuring all drivers and so on.
Old 20th September 2019, 11:06 AM   #1497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
^Simulating radiators' impedance and possibly acoustical response too is the worst option to choose imo.

Caps with 5% tolerance are probably close to 1% in practice so you can buy a set and verify C by measuring. If some individual is "too" bad, buy another. In addition, effect of capacitor type could have audible effect. Accuracy of C value is not necessarily the most significant factor with caps.

Second option is to measure impedance responses of drivers in place. Then simulate XO and effect of tolerance by monitoring transfer function of crossover at terminals of each driver from Filter graph. No need to load acoustical responses for drivers.

Real DIY approach would be redesigning whole XO by measuring all drivers and so on.
Yeah, I wish I could do a whole redesign of the XO, but my competence is really limited to soldering new caps in place of old ones (and using a LCR meter).
I really don't see myself doing the whole business especially on a 4 way speaker. There are way too many ways to screw up for someone with no experience like me. And since KEF no longer has replacement drivers for these speakers, there is no room for screwing up.
I agree that electrolytics suck and 23 in a crossover must suck the life of music.
Unfortunately, the cap values are high (lowest value is 7uF) and there isn't much space (this whole mids/tweeter board is about 20 cm side), so I can only see a couple of film caps for the tweeter and that's about it.
Hopefully, a full recap with brand new electrolytics will make the speakers sound better, because right now, I am rather underwhelmed by the sound especially in the mids and highs.
Old 20th September 2019, 05:15 PM   #1498
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

I used wine to run VC. I did some traces and the frequency looks to be off.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2019-09-21 00-31-14.png (202.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2019-09-21 00-47-22.png (199.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2019-09-21 01-49-10.png (86.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 20th September 2019, 05:50 PM   #1499
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

VituixCAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
...I did some traces and the frequency looks to be off.
Looks be a little user mistake in that there's a mitchmatch in line point are set or locked at 20Hz but input number are set to a deviating 10Hz number : )

VituixCAD-1050-png
Attached Images
File Type: png 1050.PNG (9.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 21st September 2019, 04:09 AM   #1500
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey, that's great thanks . I was worried I wouldn't be able to use this system.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!