Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2019, 03:52 PM   #1481
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

About a radial horn, the horizontal angles measure the same and the vertical varies. I don't know how to present the measurement files. Is this something I should use cylindrical surface for? How does that work? It changes my axisymmetrical ways, can this be fixed by including both H and V for them?

This driver is also asymmetrical from top to bottom, I just want to hold the same vertical set for all horizontal included angles, without upsetting the spherical radiator.
Old 17th September 2019, 05:29 PM   #1482
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Real Cone excursion Measurments.

Maybe this has been covered before, but if not, then perhaps it can create some interest.

What if Vituix could import the real cone excursion data into the enclosure tool design alongside the box measurements ? ARTA has this feature, but it would be nice if Vituix also had it, that way VituixCAD would be a fully fledged platform. Its just a thought.

The image show the general method, but I do not recommend doing both measurements at the same time due to obvious reflection issues from the construction.

Oneminde
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 72d960d6__MG_9909_klein.jpeg (185.0 KB, 159 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AP7-EstimationOfLineardisplacement-IEC62458-EngRev01.pdf (357.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 17th September 2019, 06:56 PM   #1483
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

While I would be for a feature like that, as I have the laser needed. But I would think that this would be a very niche feature. I do not think it's very common to have this equipment among hobby users.
I searched Ebay every now and then for suitable laser for years and then in end got one for about 120EUR if I remember correct. That I thought was acceptable investment to satisfy the curiosity. As new these things go for >1kEUR and also as used they are usually much more expensive.

The setup issue I solved by hot gluing a nut to it, so I can attach it to the T beam of microphone stand directly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baumer.jpg (84.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 17th September 2019, 07:18 PM   #1484
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
About a radial horn...
Measurement instructions should cover all radiator types, so this is mostly repeating the same information.

Specifying rotation center of polar measurement sequence might have subjective part if radiator does not have exactly known and mechanically measurable main axis direction. Usually rotation center is "on mouth level to main axis direction" with horns, and "on baffle surface at the center point of radiating area" with direct radiators such as cones, domes and planars. On frame surface if driver is naked.

VituixCAD is able to use measurement data in two planes only, typically horizontal and vertical. Azimuth angles are interpolated by the program if hor and ver are measured and user rotates simulated planes.

Rotation center must be common for hor and ver measurements so "ver 0 deg" will not be loaded and "hor 0 deg" represents axial response in the simulation.

Response filenames should (must in practice) have keyword for plane, typically "hor" for horizontal and "ver" for vertical plane. Plane keyword is usually before angle value.

Off-axis angle in degrees is integer value multiplied by 1, 10, 100 or 1000. Minimum angle range for full space simulation is 0...+180 deg in single plane. Maximum for full space is hor -179...+180 deg and ver -179...+179 deg. Mirror missing should be checked in practice (I'll probably remove the checkbox in the future).

Angle step could be 1 deg, but typically 10 deg is adequate at least for cones and domes. Horns may need smaller step e.g. 5 deg within listening window due to random reflections and resonances. Angle step can variate e.g. smaller to front and bigger to rear with unidirectional speakers.

If negative horizontal angles are acoustically equal to positive horizontal angles (axisymmetrical in hor plane), no need to measure and load negative hor angles.
If vertical angles equal to horizontal angles (circular or square radiator), no need to measure and load vertical plane at all.
If negative vertical angles equal to positive vertical, no need to measure and load negative vertical.

X,Y,Z coordinates of each driver instance in crossover schematic represent rotation center of DUT while off-axis measurement sequence. Driver position is relative to speaker origin which is usually perpendicular point of listening axis on baffle surface.

All measurements of the same driver must have common timing reference (usually at rotation center) so single channel measurements and minimum phase extraction are absolutely forbidden. Different drivers could have different timing reference, but common reference for all drivers i.e. all measurements is easiest to handle in practice.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

---

This is practical standard for producing measurement data for XO simulation. Not specific for VituixCAD. For example LspCAD uses the same system for locating drivers with measurement data into simulation.

Last edited by kimmosto; 17th September 2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 17th September 2019, 07:41 PM   #1485
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergo View Post
While I would be for a feature like that, as I have the laser needed. But I would think that this would be a very niche feature. I do not think it's very common to have this equipment among hobby users.
I searched Ebay every now and then for suitable laser for years and then in end got one for about 120EUR if I remember correct. That I thought was acceptable investment to satisfy the curiosity. As new these things go for >1kEUR and also as used they are usually much more expensive.
Its not part of the average diya dude, you are right about that. But for someone who is going to work on fairly complex cabinet constructions where multiple data points must be taken into considerations, it needs to be part of the equipment

Last edited by Oneminde; 17th September 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:14 AM   #1486
lolilol1975 is offline lolilol1975
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I ma new to vituixcad and I like it very much.
I wanted to simulate the filters and the enclosure of the KEF 105/3 speakers, for which the woofers are in "double coupled cavity", which you can see in the drawing
Click the image to open in full size.

How can you do that with the enclosure tool ?
Old 18th September 2019, 02:49 PM   #1487
diyAudio Member

^That looks Bandpass type 1; drivers in internal sealed volume and output from acoustical low-pass chamber with short vent. Combined sealed volume for two drivers is sum of upper and lower boxes. That will be Box Rear 1 in VCAD. Output section in the middle will be Box Front 2 and Vent Front 2 in VCAD.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:56 PM   #1488
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
^That looks Bandpass type 1; drivers in internal sealed volume and output from acoustical low-pass chamber with short vent. Combined sealed volume for two drivers is sum of upper and lower boxes. That will be Box Rear 1 in VCAD. Output section in the middle will be Box Front 2 and Vent Front 2 in VCAD.
Indeed, I used bandpass T1 for the lower boomer, and bandpass T3 with the smallest possible front event for the upper boomer, but i have no idea how to sum the upper and lower box. So noobie...
Old 19th September 2019, 03:40 AM   #1489
diyAudio Member

Hi kimmosto,

what is the Short function for ? I understood that it was a way to bypass a component momentarily, but it seems to be buggy. Sometimes, shorting doesn't recalculate the circuit. If I click again on the component, the recalculation is done.
Old 19th September 2019, 07:59 AM   #1490
diyAudio Member

^Short is swapping of short-cut state. I'm not aware of mistakes in that function. Check that connection is valid i.e. no red dots in schema and components are not located over a wire which equals to continuous short-cut. Both are quite common errors in XO schematic.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!