VituixCAD

ICEpower has quite high DC voltage (~supply rail / 2) in both output terminals which could be fatal with normal/simple impedance and full dual channel connections. Big bang without DC isolation.
Many other D-class amplifiers are single ended = internal shortcut between unbalanced line in (-) and speaker out (-) which allows simple full range non-isolated impedance measurement connection.

Hi kimmosto

I wonder if I do not know how to use your great tool (thank you so much !!!) properly or if it is just that way, my question: When I design my 2-way crossover and set up the basic circuitry, I want to include the proper woofer simulation with diffraction and enclosure tool results. After I export SPL and Impedance from enclosure tool (crossover of driver is checked so to be able to observe crossover frequency), I need to set up a new driver with this data and disable the woofer crossover circuits which are already included in the new SPL/Impedance files to not double their impact. I then see the proper curve, but if I think something's gotta be tweaked, I cannot simply work on the woofer circuitry, first need to change things back, then change values, then create new results from within enclosure tool. Is this the way it goes or am I missing some functionality?

^Basic "problem" is that software is designed for crossover simulation with measured frequency and impedance responses. Response data should not include any simulation if possible. Designers measuring indoors in limited space are forced to use time windowing for far field, near field for LF, Diffraction tool for conversion from half to full space and Merger tool for combining HF and LF including baffle loss simulation. Middle option between large acoustic lab and short time windows at home is ground plane measurements.

Purpose of Enclosure tool is to help driver selection and calculating box volume, vents or passive radiators. Nothing else by default. Artificial transfer function (and impedance response) link between crossover in the main program and Enclosure tools is for evaluation is it possible to extend frequency range down with Linkwitz trasform or other LP shelf without losing SPL capacity due to excursion limits. I think we all (should) know that it's quite hopeless. Large drivers give working solution - not any link between crossover and radiator simulation.

Recommended design procedure can be found in user manual. See "Checklist for designing a loudspeaker", page 4 in pdf version. Enclosure tool is item #4 in basic engineering.

Of course we can create response data with Enclose, Diffraction, Merger and Calculator tools, datasheets and archived measurement data, but that is just for preliminary conceptual design. Requirements and workflow could be different in every project so it's quite difficult...useless to write universal instructions.

I'm struggling with the transition from VituixCAD V1 to V2.

I read through the manual, but nowhere does it explain how to do the simplest thing of just seeing the driver responses and connecting the drivers.

I am doing a 3 way active speaker. In VituixCAD V1, the UI is excellent. There is a check box to enable/disable the driver. Awesome

In V2, I scratched my head for a while wondering why the frequency response doesn't show up after I loaded the measurements. Turns out to see that in the crossover tab I have to draw a wire between this symbol and my driver. It took quite a bit of searching to figure out how to add my other drivers to this crossover screen.

Now I'm really stuck. How do I hook up multiple drivers together so I can see the summed result?

kimmosto. Please consider making a getting started guide. V2 is super confusing compared to V1. Thank you

I'm struggling with the transition from VituixCAD V1 to V2.

I read through the manual, but nowhere does it explain how to do the simplest thing of just seeing the driver responses and connecting the drivers.

I am doing a 3 way active speaker. In VituixCAD V1, the UI is excellent. There is a check box to enable/disable the driver. Awesome

In V2, I scratched my head for a while wondering why the frequency response doesn't show up after I loaded the measurements. Turns out to see that in the crossover tab I have to draw a wire between this symbol and my driver.
I'm really struggling to understand this.

Somehow you're able to load the driver responses but struggled to find how to draw a wire from the generator source to the driver ?

On a new project there is a generator and a single driver already placed for you. Personally I think it's obvious that there needs to be some connection between the two - whether just a wire to see the raw driver response, or an actual crossover.

The frequency response graph is clearly going to be a function of the voltage waveform arriving at the driver terminals multiplied by the drivers raw response. No connection, no output, just like a real driver. :)
It took quite a bit of searching to figure out how to add my other drivers to this crossover screen.
You literally just click on the driver symbol above the schematic area and click into the schematic to place another driver. How much easier could that be ?
Now I'm really stuck. How do I hook up multiple drivers together so I can see the summed result?
Easy - just draw your circuit exactly as the real circuit would be on paper - one generator source (there can only ever be one in Vituxicad) and multiple drivers. Connect up the multiple drivers to their appropriate crossovers (which link back to the one generator) and the SPL graph will automatically show you individual and summed driver responses.

There are some sample circuits in the documentation which demonstrate how to connect everything up in the schematic editor.
kimmosto. Please consider making a getting started guide. V2 is super confusing compared to V1. Thank you
I really can't agree with this at all.

I started with Vituixcad 1 and part way through my first project migrated to version 2. It was a bit of a pain to migrate an existing project as it had to be done manually, (I was basically rebuilding an 80% finished design by hand) however I don't find V2 confusing to use at all and I've never wanted to go back to V1, as the ladder networks are far too limiting.

I've used many circuit simulator and speaker design programs over the years and Vituixcad 2 is hands down one of the easiest to use whilst still being very powerful when you dig further in.

I've barely read the manual as 90% of what you need to know is easily discoverable through the UI if you've used this kind of software before and have some idea of how it should work.

With the very basic questions you're asking like how to place a driver it sounds like you haven't actually read the manual at all, but probably need to.

Last edited:
V2 is super confusing compared to V1. Thank you

Naturally I'm so deep in both versions that it's almost impossible to understand and forecast possible problems. Both are perfectly logical and easy in my opinion :)

One common problem for beginners with v2 is to link driver instance (=driver symbol in crossover schematic in Crossover tab) to measurement data in Drivers tab. Linking is done with combo box below network schematic after driver symbol is added and selected in XO schematic. So logically Drivers tab is "Measurement data of a radiator". Then you can link and use the same measurement data set for multiple drivers. All individual driver instances should be drawn to XO schematic and connected electrically as they will be in real life.

One good studying method (in addition to manual and video lessons and measurement instructions) should be downloading and unzipping both sample projects (Epe-3W and Kontiainen) to VituixCAD\Projects folder. Investigate very carefully and play with them few days after trying anything your own.

I think it is because I know nothing about circuits, partially why I do active speakers, and why I'm very confused with V2. Seems like V2's UI is more geared towards passive crossover design, and probably makes perfect sense for people who are proficient with circuit design.

One other thing, is there any chance we can have Linkwitz Transform as a high shelf filter? This way we can get a near perfect low pass to go with the perfect HPF from a LT + BW. Thanks

^You're talking about active applications with DSP. Not all active applications which include also OP-amp applications and summing with OPA block while other blocks are generic active such as DSP.

In addition, v1.1 does not support input channel EQ or other signal splitting, summing with OPA and other than 1-4 drivers per way.

Finally, network layout with generic active blocks is not that different with v2. Just few more wires for the generator and drivers. Adding and re-ordering of blocks is faster with v1.1, but otherwise older is worse and more limited by far. Also with active apps.

I'd love to be able to overlay the A and B responses in the calculator with the calculated result. Not only just to visualize the calculation better, but to be able to easily adjust the amplitude and delay values if needed. A simple checkbox to the left of the file name to display it would be all it would take. Thanks!

^Scale, Delay, Invert A function enables overlay for any number of raw response A, magnitude and phase. Therefore it has been default function for a while. Nothing has been available for response B so idea about showing loaded raw responses is understandable.

Rev. 2.0.57.0 (2020-10-28)
Calculator
* Added magnitude and phase curve for selected response A, and Show selected checkbox.
* Added magnitude and phase curve for response B, and Show checkbox.

This is fast, but no more than one response A is visible without overlaying with Scale, Delay, Invert A function.