Tube circuit drawing software ?

Eagle from Autodesk is also very nice, lots of models available.
I just realized that must be the same Eagle Genigrapics created in the late 80's. I was a Geni tech working on high res imaging for presentations using dec based workstations. The Eagle I remember was the first dos based graphics software Geni made. It was on a 80186 at first if I recall (8086 with a 16 bit bus vs the 8088 8 bit bus) and moved to 286. The computer was heavy as hell and packed to the gills with cards. Everything was maxed to the limits. I spent literally days manipulating the 640k dos memory limitation to get everything to work with the ordered peripherals. It did work great though. We attached it to big drawing workstations for big bucks. I guess they sold it trying to stay afloat. Geni (under Autographix) also created a unix based workstation that was light years ahead around 91.

I added my own valve symbols to the PCBCAD software I wrote myself PCBCAD720.
It has the flexibility to look like how I want it.
HYBRID.jpg

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That makes sense, yes. Basic principle: break up large circuits in understandable parts if you would need more than a single sheet to fit it on.

It's more work for you, but if you want to show it to others and get meaningful comments (not 'hey that looks great' , that's is a waste of your time), put yourself in the shoes of someone who sees it for the first time. IF they want to give meaningful comments, they will need some time to understand what the f*ck you are doing ;-)

Take it from someone who published 100's of articles and had to field lots of reader questions.

Jan

I could get the same results on any of the programs, i just want to use whats the easiest to use.

Sims will get you in the same (big) ball park, but I know that the ltspice models differ from other load-line calculator and all of those differ from each individual tube section (ie each triode/pentode).

LTspice is easy-ish to use and it's interactive. There are tube models (go into components and search for triode) but the mapping between models, symbols and things from the web that fill the missing gaps are all part of the ltspice learning experience.

Kicad also can do diagram schematics but simulating is more text based from what I can see this would then allow you to go from schematic to PCB easier. However Kicad doesn't import net lists (ie LTspice) and the kicad netlist export is not pretty if loaded into ltspice.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was assuming everyone was having to draw their own symbols.

... the readability and understandably of a circuit diagram depends on the drawer and not on the tool.

As in any design, the tool only helps. My drawing tool came with tube symbols, in the end i redrew them all to suit my taste.

dave

Sims will get you in the same (big) ball park, but I know that the ltspice models differ from other load-line calculator and all of those differ from each individual tube section (ie each triode/pentode).

LTspice is easy-ish to use and it's interactive. There are tube models (go into components and search for triode) but the mapping between models, symbols and things from the web that fill the missing gaps are all part of the ltspice learning experience.

Kicad also can do diagram schematics but simulating is more text based from what I can see this would then allow you to go from schematic to PCB easier. However Kicad doesn't import net lists (ie LTspice) and the kicad netlist export is not pretty if loaded into ltspice.

Yes quite true, I have some experience in diptrace too, I know that has a huge library of components but have only drawn schematics there for the purpose of creating a pcb

Playing around with ltspice as im keen to try simulating the circuit.
Ive got the tube models and symbols, but cant for the hell of me find how you add them to the toolbar to insert!
Also got all the *.inc files for the different tube types but not sure what folder these are supposed to go into.

Playing around with ltspice as im keen to try simulating the circuit.
Ive got the tube models and symbols, but cant for the hell of me find how you add them to the toolbar to insert!
Also got all the *.inc files for the different tube types but not sure what folder these are supposed to go into.

I use the Mac version but for that only the “standard” files in the diode/jet/etc directory files are put under the component selector. For other models, you will need to use control+click to bring up the properties table, change the type to X and then add the model name to the property (spice line iirc). That tells LTSpice what model to use out of the .inc .lib files.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member