Questions related to using Cadsoft Eagle-help available

Hi all,
I want to start this thread to answer questions related to using cadsoft eagle effectively. I have been using eagle for over 2 years now and done many layouts of single sided and two sided ones. Although sprint is preferred by many to make simple analog layouts, I prefer eagle because of its compatibility with schematic.
All you need is a carefully checked schematic and correct devices, voila you are guaranteed to have correct layout.
I dont say i have mastered eagle, but i would say i am about 60% proficient.

I still have no capability with making ulp's. never felt the need to, as there are many many ulp's available on internet that get the job done.

This is not going to be a tutorial thread, just question and answer thread.
and would cover questions related to the following topics
1. making sch
2. cloning an sch
3. making packages, symbols and devices
4. making layouts
5. Cloning layouts
6. importing gerbers for cloning
7. DRC for home etching and for manufacturing
8. generating BoM
9. Generating gerbers
10. Generating pdf's (positive images and negative images of solder masks and copper layers), mirroring them, etc
10. any other

In the process of answering questions, this thread hopefully will also lead to make me more proficient in eagle and help in finding something new which I hadnt used before.

Thanks and regards

Prasi

Hi prasi ,i have difficulty for looking eagle library especially for audio purpose .
Can you spot where i can get it ?
Or maybe you can post yours here if you dont mind .
thanks

There is no single library containing all audio related parts. You have to look in a particular library for a particular component.
e.g. Faston connectors can be found in con-faston library.

various kinds of NPN and PNP To-92 and TO-126 packages can be found in transistor-to-92-new library.

so have to familiarize yourself with various libraries to to locate a part quickly.

search function is also available that supports wildcard characters, e.g. in the add part dialog box in search put something like *zener* and you will get a list of all zener diodes.

hope this helps

ok got it .
Can i create my own part list ?so i can easily search for component ?
thanks

search function is also available that supports wildcard characters, e.g. in the add part dialog box in search put something like *zener* and you will get a list of all zener diodes.

The above option is much easier for finding parts.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Its not same as sprint where you can download required packages and save it in your folder...
Eagle is a bit different.
Once you get to know it, there is no need for 'your' folder.

Everything is in the library, just need to search or like me, be familiar with it.

When I used Eagle I created my own lib, i.e. copied parts from other libs and edited the footprints according to my needs.
Never liked these Eagle libs, a bunch of unsorted crap they have been over the decades.

When I used Eagle I created my own lib, i.e. copied parts from other libs and edited the footprints according to my needs.
Never liked these Eagle libs, a bunch of unsorted crap they have been over the decades.

Ok, Thanks for your comments. I have been using eagle and I quite like it, cause, I can create error free designs, with my preferred packages (created by me/downloaded from net).

if you have shifted to some other software, all the best.

Like any software (including sprint and diptrace), you have to create your own packages and devices. There is no free lunch.
Like I said, this thread is created for users and learners of eagle. So I am trying to be a little more constructive here...Hope you understand that.
I am no way promoting the software , you can see my posts and the designs I created with eagle:D.

I am a new Eagle user and have a question.

I need to create a 50mm round board outline.

This is how I made it: I used the circle function to create the 50mm circle and placed it in the #20 Dimension layer. I changed the line width to 0.001. I then deleted the original Eagle rectangle board outline.

Is this correct? Will this method generate correct Gerber files?

Thanks Prasi

Next question is on a library component I want to use.

The component is a screw connector available at Mouser with the eagle file.

Keystone 7787

On the Eagle board edit page the component displays the >NAME and >VALUE. It also displays >LABEL. This >LABEL shows up on the tNames layer. It also shows up on CAM file as silkscreen and is displayed as >LABEL.
I see no way to edit it or delete it. What is its purpose? Why can I not delete or edit this >LABEL?

I think this is a mistake/error in the library design.

Here is the Eagle library file: View attachment 736331

Here is a picture of how it displays in Eagle Board edit:

Connector 7787.jpg

I find that the sparkfun library is a must. It has a nice collection if usefull parts and it's maintain and augmented regularly. As a bonus, you can order the parts from them if you cannot find the distributor part number and also you can import all their schematic.