AENEAS: Loudspeaker simulation on macOS and iOS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

first of all, I don't want to violate any rule on this forum. So, dear admins, please remove this thread if I do something wrong.

For years I am using Apple computers and I like them. But there was always the disadvantage that there is no loudspeaker simulation software that was made for macOS. I know, you can run the Windows stuff with Parallels or CrossOver or whatever. But I never liked these solutions. Besides that I love my iPad and again, there is no loudspeaker simulation software for it.
Thus, a few month ago I thought, let's change that: I made an app called AENEAS.
AENEAS can simulate several enclosure types:
- Infinite Baffle
- Closed Box
- Vented Box
- Bandpass 4th order
- Bandpass 6th order
For the simulation AENEAS needs the Thiele-Small-Parameters of a driver. In the 2nd step the enclosure is selected. To make the design of an enclosure quick, you can choose from some standard alignments given in the literature or you define everything yourself.
From your input AENEAS builds an equivalent electro-acoustic network and runs a SPICE simulation of it. Therefore, I have implemented a light-weight spice simulator, which I programmed myself. You don't have to run an external tool.
Currently AENEAS plots the following simulation results:
- SPL Magnitude @ eg in 1m distance
- SPL Phase
- Impedance Magnitude
- Impedance Phase
- Excursion @ eg
- SPL output driver and port
- Max. SPL
- Max. input voltage
- Max input power by amplifier
- Group Delay
- Transfer function of enclosure only
You can run several acoustic networks in the same project. That makes it easy to compare how the driver behaves in different enclosure designs.
A project can be saved and loaded. Again to make life easier you don't have to type in the TSPs parameters again and again. Once you entered them, you can save them in an XML-file, one file per driver. Thus, you can later load them again or send the file to a friend how wants to use that driver. The project files can be exchanged, too.

I know, there are many other things that could be implemented. But for the first release I wanted to limit the features, else it gets easily messy.

Yesterday I released version 1.0.0 for macOS on Apple's App Store for 5.99$.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aeneas-enhanced-numeric-electro/id1189221756?l=de&ls=1&mt=12
I am now working on the iOS cross-build which is currently in beta status.

Besides that I've a roadmap to add more features to AENEAS like Passive Radiators, Transmission Lines, passive and active crossovers etc.

I hope some of you will like it and are going to use the app.
I would like to offer some technical support here and would like to hear from you if you find a bug.

Raphael

Hi,
bought it and like it:).

There is one driver that constantly make app crash when vented box is choosed.

here is the data and please check where is the problem...
url]

There should be no trouble finding a Qb3 for a driver with that Q

Is that the parameter set you are requiring to be entered? It seems that using just: Fs, Qts, (Qes or Qms), Vas, Re, Dia, you can calculate the others. A fair # of drivers don't come with a Qms or Qes and you can just guess Qes as something larger than Qts (or similarly set Qms to ~3 when it is not entered). Cms and Mms or even Sd are also not commonly provided or given in potentially confusing units.

QB3 for this driver (depends on Ql of box) will be ~1.83L, 89Hz tune with ql=7.

Last edited:
Yes you are right, AENEAS finds exactly the values you mentioned for QB3. I was wrong. It is not QB3 it is C4 that causes the trouble. And since C4 is the first item in the list the app enters an infinite loop, when trying to solve the design equation...
Anyway I'll fix that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.